radiator bleed screw dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having problem with newish type radiator leaking at bleed screw. Was checking for air and cannot get bleed screw to close . Don't think there is anything wrong with it, just that it is the new type with the square metal screw inside the plastic holder which has the bleed hole in it, you know the tyep that just keeps turning, and I don't know how to get it to close off properly. Any help grateful for as cannot get it to stop.

Sponsored Links
now, i may be thinking of different one to you, but perhaps you might need to nip up nut that goes into rad. when you undo bleed screw, sometimes the whole assy comes undone is what im trying to say.
:rolleyes:

wilhelm said:
now, i may be thinking of different one to you, but perhaps you might need to nip up nut that goes into rad. when you undo bleed screw, sometimes the whole assy comes undone is what im trying to say.
:rolleyes:
I'm sure you know what you mean wilhelm :confused:

Billywizz
Are you using a proper bleeding key and have you cross threaded the bleed screw.
Close your rad valves off so you can keep your central heating on while you sort this out.

Sponsored Links
I don't wish to offend wilhelm, but I am confused as to your posting :rolleyes:
No need to take the hump :)

no i apologise bahco, thought you were taking **** , although nothing wrong with that :LOL: just that i had the same with plastic/bleed screw, and that how i cured it.
god, i think im getting internet rage :rolleyes:

alls square :LOL: funny old world :LOL:
where the **** is kevplumb?? im missing his satire already :eek:

Ta Wilhelm & Bahco, enjoyed the 'banter' , but main plug has'nt come undone, and yep I do have proper key and have'nt crossed thread, have other similar radiators, seems to be normal for this type of bleed screw to turn infinitely within itself, just need to know how to adjust it and close, water level now up to 1.5 metres and thinking of looking out wellies ! :rolleyes:

This sounds like a job for a copious amount of ptfe tape!
wrap it arround everything and hope for the best.

If that fails try a self tapping screw in the hole with a small metal and rubber washers.

The white plastic bit is meant to rotate; that just determines which bit of wall or floor gets weed on. The bleeding screw in the middle is NOT meant to rotate once done up. If yours is fuggered you can just get a new whole thing - undo the hex chrome bit and replace it. Wickes sell them.

Might help if you turn the rad valves off first.

failing that hold the thing while you tighten the screw
i get the impression that the poster is trying to close the bleed and rotating the whole assembly :rolleyes:
been busy moving btw will :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back