Radiator Bleed Valve Jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recently trying to bleed some rads around the house and discovered that a number - luckely small - of the valve needle heads were badly worn and wont open with a standard valve key.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how best to open these valves - tips, techniques or tools would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Many Thanks Greame - I have tried but it keeps slipping I need someting which will grip a bit better - Any other suggestions
Graeme said:
Would needle nose pliers not fit into the cavity?

you would have to be VERY careful but what about a small socket set

Sponsored Links
If one of the pipes feeding the radiator connects to the top of the unit, you can bleed the radiator by slackening the top pipe connector. Be careful and have an old towel to hand to mop any water. It's important just to slacken the connector and not unscrew it completely. Be ready to re-tighten the connection as soon as water begins to come through. If both radiator pipes connect at the bottom this method will not work. In the summer, drain the system and fit new bleed valves.

Thanks Guys,

I have tried a cable snips which has worked very well since it can grip the valve head very easily. Since it is hardened steel it can cut into the brass and thereby give a better grip. However one valve still won't move so its a plan B - if I can find one.

Any ideas....

as i said try a socket set. You should grip all surfaces of a material when applying force, this will prevent it from twisting. Why not use a radiator key, a squirt of something like WD40 and a pair of gas pliers* to hold the radiator key to give you more leverage. however since the thread is locked, why not try to tighten it very very slightly, the try undoing it, this just breaks the "lock" on the thread.

* gas pliers are also known by several different names, i.e water pump pliers, grips. (depends where you come from as to what you call them)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back