radiator covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking to build myself a set of radiator covers. i can't come up with any ideas of how i can make them less garish and able to fit into a more contempory environment. if any one has any knowledge of anything likewise, i would be most greatfull.
charlie

Sponsored Links
If you mean by "radiator covers" you intend to box them in, paint the radiators black first this way they do not show up as much when they are boxed in.

As for material why not use mdf and decorate as the room is

Radiators are designed to give off heat as efficiently as possible (within price limitations). Hot air rises - which means you need a large gap above for hot air to come out and a large gap below for cool air to replace it. That's convection heating taken care of. Now for radiation:

Matt black works best - which ties in with a previous suggestion. A black "body" radiates heat more efficiently than other colours but only if it is unobstructed. Any box is going to obstruct it so think carefully about how much heat you can do without.

Materials: Wood and plastic are prone to warping when exposed to alternating hot and cold periods. Metal conducts heat fairly well and also re-radiates it. So, on balance, I'd go for metal.

To allow heat to radiate I would use a simple array of slats - rather like an open window blind. If the radiator is below waist level then horizontal slats, viewed from above, will present a "solid" appearance (hiding the radiator) while still allowing heat to radiate horizontally. The slats might be arranged almost in a vertical plane across the top of the radiator to allow convection, while still hiding the radiator from view.

With some careful planning and design, the end result will not only look modern and effectively hide the radiator from view; it will also allow it to work as efficiently as before.

If you can afford to do without full heat output in winter then obviously an approach that blocks some of the rising air or horizontal radiation can be used. However, most radiators barely manage to cope in winter so think carefully.

Corrections:
I accept no responsibility whatsoever.
Be careful what you wish for; you may get it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back