Outdoor car cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has just bought a new car and is thinking about buying a cover to protect it from the weather. i would be most greatfull for any feedback from anyone who has used a car cover.
Are they a good or bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Unless the car is rarely used, I suspect the bother of getting the cover out will make it not worthwhile.

They also get dirty and the dirt will rub off on your clothes while manhandling it.

It's a car, it's designed to withstand the weather. Unless it rains paint-stripper in your area?

I used to have one on an old car that stood untouched for months on end, I think it was worthwhile there. Keeps dust and dirt off as well as rain, prevents fading and protects paintwork.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure your car is bone dry before covering, the cover can help retain moisture, which leads to rot, like putting a wet car into a well insulated garage.

It's a car, it's designed to withstand the weather. Unless it rains paint-stripper in your area?
it`s a good point .modern paint/laquer is Much better than even 10-15 years ago.maybe consider a dealer-applied "extra polish" :?: we were offrered this with our new Pug .didn`t bother tho :LOL:

as said cheaper covers just trap the moisture in,breathable ones are not that much better,car care products are very good nowadays so a regular cleaning routine with good quality products is all you need

they also flap in the breeze and eventually rub the paint off the door mirrors.
I ended up having to put a pair of old socks over mine to limit the damage.
and you'll need to fit an elasticated strap around the b-post line otherwise it billows and comes off on a really windy night.

all in all - more trouble than they're worth unless you are mothballing a vehicle for a few months over winter.

"they also flap in the breeze and eventually rub the paint off the door mirrors. " Yes very good point and its not just the mirrors as I found out to my peril when I covered my pride and joy before a 3 month work trip.

Sponsored Links
Back