Radiator Efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly large and draughty victorian house to which I have fitted almost as much draughtproofing as possible - trying to avoid double glazing due to cost. ;)

The central heating system still takes an inordinate time to heat our house. Overnight Sunday/Monday this week full blast only managed to increase the temp from 13c to 16c (granted it was cold).

My question is does anyone have any information on Radiator Efficiency and whether it would be worthwhile changing my radiators? (which are older and have no 'fins' in the centre), or does putting foil backed card behind them actually make a great deal of difference? What is the latest thinking on positioning of Rads? Many of mine are under windows and end up behind closed curtains in the evening.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated as are any other bright ideas.

Cheers
Baxman :D

Sponsored Links
Many of mine are under windows and end up behind closed curtains in the evening.
This is obviously very bad since you're heating the space next to the draughty single glazed windows rather than the room the other side of the curtains!

Solutions are:-

1/ Place shelf above radiator (extension of window sill) to deflect heated air into room and cut the curtains to finish at shelf level

2/ Move radiator / fit new rad in alternative location.

3/ Fit floor standing radiator in front of windows with clear space behind for curtains.

4/ Fit internal thermal shutters over windows to dramatically reduce heat loss through them.

Thx for response will look into the various options.

P.S. Love Cuba, visited there couple of years back and thought it was great. :D

Sponsored Links
Love Cuba, visited there couple of years back and thought it was great
If you think it's so great, why don't you come and live here permanently? Most of the Cubans I know just want out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back