Radiator fitting - pipework challenges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a new radiator for one of the rooms in my house but the closest match I could get size wise is 80mm wider than the original (wife wanted an oval tube rad to match ones in other rooms).
The issue I have is that the 10mm copper tails don't have enough movement in them to move 40mm each to the side - I have cut a horizontal slot in the plasterboard to either side of the pipe but there's just not enough flex to move them out far enough.
The pipes come directly out of the wall at about 50mm above the skirting board and then 90 degree elbow upwards into the bottom of the valve.
Would appreciate any suggestions on what I could do with the pipes - short of taking the skirting board off and knocking holes in the wall.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1. You have two choices, dig up the wall and re-run the pipes, or extend the pipes 40 mm each side (or 80 mm one side if that looks better).
2. The really proper way to do it is to excavate the pipes, make the necessary changes, re-connect and re-plaster as necessary.
3. Personally I don't see anything wrong with extending the pipes, provided that:
3a. They are copper and any fittings can be neatly soldered end-feeds.
3b. The runs can be kept straight and symmetrical (but see 1. above)
3c. They are not connected to any hidden plastic pipe work so close that the heat of soldering can melt the plastic pipes / fittings.

Please note that 3. is my personal view. I know a good number of people really dislike extending the tails.

Thanks oldbuffer, having looked at the job again and your suggestions it looks like it will have to be option 3 extending 40mm each way to keep it symmetrical. I think I should be able to obscure most of the pipework under the rad so it hopefully won't show too much. Not the ideal visually but the best option I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back