radiator gap to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
Had central heating fitted to a cottage that had only electric rads previously.
One of the walls is a plastered cob wall (that's mud bricks, basically, with hazel spars) with vertical wood stanchions. The wall is a bit uneven, though not excessively. The cob won't take screws.
My plumber, before he started the job, talked about finding the vertical wooden stanchions by drilling small pilot holes, then attaching timber to those stanchions then the radiator to that timber. That I though was a good solution, one I have heard of elsewhere.
But what he ended up doing was - I am not sure exactly how he did it - but he boasts about having used some kind of fantastic adhesive (CT1 ?) across the back face of the radiator straight onto the wall.
I would add that this plumber delighted in short cuts elsewhere, and hasn't even reduced his price for installing one less radiator than we thought at the outset.
Anyway, this radiator is hard against the wall, which can't be good for several reasons:
1. it doesn't look right
2. not possible to dry undies on it (!)
3. the adhesive could fail
4. there will be less heatflow into the room
5. heat will be going direct into the wall, which can't be good for it, repeated hot and cold cycling of part of an old wall could be damaging.

I think I have made my own conclusion, that I ought to ask him to come in again and fit the radiator 'properly' before I pay his bill, but does anyone have any views please ?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back