Radiator coming off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a radiator coming off the wall (you can see the wall plugs being pulled out of the plaster).

I have turned off the supply to the radiator, and put a tv unit against it to keep it up.

I was going to phone a plumber to try and sort it, but I have been told by a work mate that a plumber will not fix it.

So is he talking rubbish or would I have to call out a plasterer or a general handyman?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Whatever way the job is tackled, the rad has to be removed. Definitely a job for a plumber.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps your mate thought that it was a job for an <airline pilot> (insert wacky suggestion as required).

In jest of course but just wondering who they did think fitted radiators...???

Perhaps his mate had been reading this forum and came to the conclusion that Plumbers are in actual fact comedians. I know I've had a few good laughs out of some of them on here.

'Joking' aside ebu79, as Goldspoon suggests and Whitespirit66 and Diyisfun confirm, you do indeed require a Plumber. Unless of course you wish to tackle this yourself. For which advice can be provided by Billy Connolly, Dara Ó Briain, Bill Bailey... or even one of us. :)

if your not confident yourself at doing the plumbing. you could try using a shed load of evil grip fill behind the rad brackets, as a means of gettin by.ps make sure any wallpaper isnt existing if doing so. :evil:

if your not confident yourself at doing the plumbing. you could try using a shed load of evil grip fill behind the rad brackets, as a means of gettin by.ps make sure any wallpaper isnt existing if doing so. :evil:

Do I hear a dog barking? Ruff...Ruff...Rough b*stard...Ruff

lol

You know that way that I was sure he was talking absolute balls, but it just put a bit of doubt in my mind....

Anyway, i'll give a plumber a call later on today.

And the TV reception is still fine (although if it does go, do I call out a builder to sort the ariel?????) :D

Cheers

**** taking aside, perhaps your mate was thinking that although a plumber will obviously take the rad off the wall he may not be keen to actually repair the wall to a standard good enough to re-hang the rad without it falling onto your TV.

is the wall brick/block, plasterboard, or something else?

Its plasterboard, and the radiator is pretty big so i'm not too shocked that its coming off. Also the people that owned the house before us seemed quite "cheap and cheerful" so again, its not really a surprise.

Its plasterboard, and the radiator is pretty big so i'm not too shocked that its coming off.
If you cannot get a fixing into one of the Studs then the best course of action would be to insert a couple of Noggins. The other option would be to screw a length of about 18mm Ply to the wall behind the rad (assuming there's enough play on the pipes to allow this). The Ply should be screwed into the Studs to obtain the best possible fixing. Then the Rad Brackets just fix to the Ply. The Plumber 'might' be willing to do this for you (at a cost obviously), but he might cry off and ask you to get a Chippy to do it or the like. Its not a difficult job just some Plumbers won't do it. Wimps! :rolleyes: Whatever you decide, you need to ensure you have a decent fixing otherwise you'll be doing this job again sooner than you'd like! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back