A little advice regards hanging this radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All was going so well too & i'd avoided making a thread on the topic :( lol

Just painting the walls that had been plastered & rather than trying to squeeze rollers behind radiators which in some case wasn't possible, i figured i'd just take them off, paint the job properly & then re-fit.

3 radiators needed to come off. 2 of them were not a problem.

Just had a nightmare with an 1800 because of the middle bracket. Looks like the plumber who fitted it had some bother too.

Photo 26-05-2016, 8 17 26 am.jpg

Basically when the radiator came off, it pulled the bracket out at the top too, rawl plug, screw & all.

The top hole looks like the first attempt from the plumber. It's the lower hole that's being used.

Since the whole thing was pulled out i don't imagine it's going to hold too well just simply putting a rawl plug back in & screwing up.

So what should i do here to make it secure?

Sponsored Links
Is the wall plaster onto brickwork? Consider using the next size plug up, drilling deeper and sticking the plug in with no nails or whatever.
It is possible to relocate the bracket slightly to one side, but there's never much to play with, and the pipes may not have any movement, so do check that out first!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is the plugs colour a rule or a guide only?

As it was a brown plug that was used if that helps decide what the next size up is. Not sure if this dictates the size of plug or whether it means nothing at all.

I think i still have some gripfill left over from a job somewhere if that's any good for the job. Unless it's gone hard which is probably the case. :)

EDIT: Just realised. If you drill in to the wall you're supposed to pump some of this silicone stuff in the damp proofers left behind to not break the tanking. Suppose that'll cause a problem when needing to also pump it with some no nails/similar.

As Burnerman suggests, plus you could always drill an additional hole in the bracket and put an extra fixing in for "peace of mind"

Fischer SX plugs are what you want, never mind the junk that comes with the rad! 8mm are fine but if the hole is 8 already and loose, go for 10 and a 6 gauge screw.
An extra one, courtesy of Sandys suggestion, is an excellent move.
Drill in to you get into the brick......if you ever need a very long plug, you can always adapt one from a frame fixer.

Great. Thanks. Hopefully i wont be back :D lol.

No rush for it right now as i've to mist coat up, top coat & such so i've got a bit of time.

The SX range are the ones for me, I don't use anything else and I've used thousands.....they have a spline that stops rotation in the hole.
The 6-8 range need a 6mm drill, the 8-10 an 8mm drill and so on. The length is deemed appropriate to the plug diameter.
The screwfix part numbers can be mixed up here, so do check when they appear at the counter!
I'd get that hole sorted sharpish really, so if you are using an adhesive it has loads of time to set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back