Radiator fell off - can’t get brackets back on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiator fell off a week ago. I removed it and capped off the pipes so the rest of the house would stay warm. I put cement over all the holes in the plasterboard and let it dry. I’m installing the brackets right now but the holes are just crumbling and too big for the screws to fit.

I’ve managed to fit on the right side bracket (only 2 screws atm because new ones are coming tomorrow). The left side bracket is the one that caused it to fall off in the first place. I drilled holes for 150mm screws as recommended by one of my friends. However the holes just got wider and wider and now the wall plug is too small to fit in tightly.

I saw another post where someone recommended to use UniBond no-more-nails adhesive but i’m not sure it will be able to hold the weight of my radiator. My radiator is the k2.0450.1400

Please give any suggestions you may have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
In that situation a good option is to use timber so remove the plug and cut and shape a stick of timber almost as thick as the hole and just under full depth and hammer it in then screw into the timber and it will give a solid grip. May be better with a pilot hole if you are using huge screws and don't overtighten and it should be fine.

If I use timber, will I need to use black wood screws or am I okay using the gold ones that I used with the other bracket in the picture?

And I saw online that you could stuff toothpicks all the way in and wood glue and let it dry. Will that provide the same effect as the timber or will they break when the radiator is attached? - I don’t have any woodworking tools to cut the timber to size so I’d prefer using the toothpicks even if it means a lot of cleanup.

I would go with zip fittings, but if only if you use new holes elsewhere on the brackets.

The above is first link that I came across. Timco, et al make them.

You drill the hole, pull the spare arms towards you, and snap away the excess. Unlike traditional toggles, you can undo them and use then again.

They do however use machine screws, so ensure that they are long enough.

Additionally, I use interset fittings, but you need to ensure that you have the correct fitting tool. They are much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
You need to make good the wall before you fit any brackets . you can’t fit brackets to that mess.

I understand I need to make the wall better first but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to do that considering I can’t move the radiator elsewhere as there’s no other empty wall in the room.

It is a brick wall behind the plaster as the wall on the other side is the one facing the street made fully of bricks.

Car repair Plastic Padding, pushed into that hole after thoroughly cleaning it out, might be an option. Or Padding combined with timber. Once set, drill a pilot hole, for the screw. Follow that, by filling the damaged plaster, whilst the screw is left in position whilst it sets.

Another alternative, would be to have a piece of ply, cut to a similar size as the rad, the fix that to the wall, via fresh fixings - then fix radiator to ply.

I understand I need to make the wall better first but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to do that considering I can’t move the radiator elsewhere as there’s no other empty wall in the room.
Who says you need to move the radiator , repair the wall , you can hang the radiator on it , simple .
No plasterboard on any of the photo’s , why mention it?

Who the hell gouged out that skirting? I know it's a DIY site but for goodness sake try to find a recommended (not "check a conman") local handyman to sort that out. Ask friends,work colleagues, neighbours.

How thick do you think I should buy the ply? And do I use black wood screws to screw it into the wall or is it okay to use the gold ones? And will I need wall plugs or do I just screw the ply straight into the wall. How many screws shall I use?

Who the hell gouged out that skirting? I know it's a DIY site but for goodness sake try to find a recommended (not "check a conman") local handyman to sort that out. Ask friends,work colleagues, neighbours.
Me. There was originally just a tiny cut to allow the radiator brackets in place but I ended up filling it with cement so I just cut off some extra.

Who says you need to move the radiator , repair the wall , you can hang the radiator on it , simple .
No plasterboard on any of the photo’s , why mention it?
I don’t understand how I am supposed to repair the wall though. I already tried cement in the holes that were left after the radiator fell off but the cement just ends up breaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back