Radiator fell off - can’t get brackets back on

It is a brick wall behind the plaster as the wall on the other side is the one facing the street made fully of bricks.

Then drill into the bricks, use plasplugs and long screws.

The plaster and filler have no strength.

Have you got a drill?

Sponsored Links
What is behind the plaster?
It’s paint, skimming, plasterboard, then brick. However when I was drilling, I saw a fully black sort of rock. Not sure if it was brick or not. The wall on the other side (facing the street) is fully brick however.

Then drill into the bricks, use plasplugs and long screws.

The plaster and filler have no strength.

Have you got a drill?
Yeah, I’ve got a drill. This is exactly what I did today however the brick already had a hole in it and stupid me carried on drilling, widening that hole. So now the brick is already drilled into and too big for any screw or wall plug so I’m not sure where I should screw the brackets now.

Defective burned bricks used to be used for indoor walls that would be plastered and not seen. To my eye they have a hint of purple.

Breeze blocks were formerly made, of broken furnace waste with a trace of cement. They are grey and have the texture of lumpy porage.

You can drill into either, though burnt bricks can be very hard

Post photos please.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I’ve got a drill. This is exactly what I did today however the brick already had a hole in it and stupid me carried on drilling, widening that hole. So now the brick is already drilled into and too big for any screw or wall plug so I’m not sure where I should screw the brackets now.

How big?

How thick do you think I should buy the ply? And do I use black wood screws to screw it into the wall or is it okay to use the gold ones? And will I need wall plugs or do I just screw the ply straight into the wall. How many screws shall I use?

16mm ply should do it, fix it to the wall between where the brackets go, and the outer edges, to the left and right, three fixings each side. 75 x #10's should do it, use brown wall plugs. You will need a sds drill, or maybe get away with a hammer drill, to drill the holes.

The brackets should have several holes pre drilled in them. If not, drill some more using a sharp metal drill bit.

It looks like a brick wall, behind the plaster, so cavity wall fixings are entirely the wrong thing to use.

Yup, you are correct. I did not look closely enough at the photos. I hadn't realised that the OP meant plaster, rather than plasterboard.

It's remarkably easy, and secure, to drill and plug a brick wall. I hope @noclueXD_ comes back for help.

Drill holes a bit bigger. 8mm ish
Buy ANY bolt resin. Cheapest one you can find. Shoot in holes the bolt resin. Buy some 4 mm threaded bar and cut to length and push in the resin. Give it a few hours to dry ( minimum 3)
Fill wall
Nut and washer to hold the radiator bracket on.

Re walls.

Single skin or cavity wall?

If single skin get some limelite plaster or other and make good. No PVA to be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back