Help! Radiator just fell off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom radiator just fell off the wall bending the inlet/outlet pipes badly, one of them has cracked and leaking badly. I have switched everything off and now the house is freezing. Does anyone know of a make shift fix since i cant afford a plumber to come and fix for me?

Sponsored Links
I cannot think of any makeshift fix which does not involve plumbing skills.

I dont understand how a house owner with a property, even in Glasgow, probably worth well over £100,000 is unable to afford someone to do an essential repair.

Tony

i am not a house owner, the property is privately rented. i just lost my job before christmas, not in reciept of any benefits, have huge debts and now no heating.. so calling a plumber is gonna be very unlikely since i only have £5 to my name. How much do you think i would be required to pay for a plumber to fix this? is it an easy job? the radiator needs to be removed from wall, pipes fixed then remounted.

Help! :cry:

Listen to an old country (dinosaur :LOL: ) plumber..........belt the pipe flat against the wall with a big hammer.squash it flat to stop the water flow :idea: Nae Bother ;) It`s the LANDLORD`s RAD not yours:cool: get my drift :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi..Is it not the landlords responsibilty to carry out maintainance and repairs.
Unless.....radiators rarely just drop off the wall for no apparrent reason..What happened?

The difficulty of the job will depend on the condition of the wall+ where the pipework is located .

What size are the pipes to the radiator?. Maybe you can cap off that radiator until you get back on your feet.
At least the rest of the house would be warm.

Citizen`s Advice Bureau...........I`m nae going tae argue :LOL:I might get a Glasgow kiss under the mistletoe :eek:

could be wrong but as a tennent you are only responsable for keeping the house in good decorative order and repair of any reasonable dammage like broken windows dents in doors or plaster

i would consult your landlord before you do anything other than emergency repairs[to stop water dammage for example]

why do you specificly think you are responcible for the heating!!!!!
after all the landlord is responcible for the anual checks on the electrics and gas for rental [assuming its the same in scotland off course] ;)

Was someone climbing on the rad to hang the mistletoe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back