Radiator has come loose from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This double radiator is around 1200mm wide. The plug and screws have popped out of the wall. The screws were around 50mm with brown plugs in the wall.

British Gas attended the issue and decided that the radiator needs replacing and hence not covered under the plan. They’ve removed the rad and capped of the pipes. I really don’t get this conclusion as it was just loose brackets from what I can see. When does a radiator actually fail?! I can’t imagine it’s that common...

I believe it just needs firm fixing to the wall and valves nipping up again.

Q. How should I get a firm fix of the brackets? I have considered anchor bolts that are thicker and longer. Someone has also mentioned resin with existing fixings.

I’d appreciate your help on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Radiator - is it single panel single convector, double panel single convector, double panel double convector? All about weight really. Internal stud wall, or external wall and just need to locate single skin brick?

Last edited:
Here’s the rad
2B18699B-71F7-445E-810D-C924BE4A4AC9.jpeg

It’s on an external wall

Sponsored Links
The house is cladded on the exterior so uncertain about the overall construction.

The inside leaf is definitely brick/block.

So that’s a double panel (can’t see convectors single or double possibly). 50mm/2” screws are no good for that, probably need some 3” x12 or 4” x 12 for that beast.

Will I be okay to go into the existing wall holes after drilling deeper?
Can’t say for certain, but I’ve done it on several occasions and been successful. Depends if they’re too enlarged.

Nice heavy rad.

If the wall is in good condition then you want an 10mm masonry bit & fisher SX 10mm wall plugs. Drill 70mm holes and use M5 60mm 10mm headed screw bolts. If the wall is nice and stable then use 2 an the top of the bracket as that's where the levering weight off the wall is at its greatest.

Repair the holes that are there just now with mortar and let it set for a few days before trying to redrill.

Ah yes, but if I move over, won’t I have an issue connecting to the existing valves?

Is it rare for radiators to need replacing? There certainly wasn’t any water seeping out of the rad.

It’s probably just their get out clause. Rads imo only need replacement when leaking from them, not the valves, or beyond painting because they’re rusty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back