Radiator HOT even though turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in the basement heats up even though it is turned off. It wasn't working before until I bled it and now the blasted thing wont turn off (makes me wish I didn't bleed it - we don't need heat in the basement, I only did it as i was trying to fix a different radiator!)

Anyway, I pulled the top off the radiator valve to make sure it was turned all the way off (in fact, it sounds like MORE water is coming to the radiator when it is all the way closed). This is that end of the radiator.
DSC00559.jpg

So I thought maybe if i closed the valve the OTHER end of the radiator, that should turn it off...however...at the other end is THIS!?! What the devil is this?
DSC00557.jpg

Any ideas how to turn this radiator off?

Sponsored Links
there lockshields becareful is it your bypass rad??? ull know if the other rads in the house have thermostatic rad valves

All the radiators have Westherm thermostats on them apart from this one in the basement and the one in the bathroom, but the one in the bathroom turns on and off with no problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
this is a bypass radiator then its more than likely been put in the basement as u should not turn this one off hence having lockshields at either end. This is so if you turned all your radiators off upstairs the water would have somewhere to go and not build up pressure when it was heated. my advice leave it as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back