radiator loose pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator fell from the wall an was reattached.

The pipe that screws into the radiator has zero grip on it and can be pulled off by hand from the nut that attaches it.

What is the problem with this? Do you i need sealant?

Sponsored Links
unfortunatley i cant take a picture

The pipe fits into the radiator, on top of the pipe sits a circular disc with a hollow middle

the pipe is held in place with a nut which screws into the radiator,from the bottom with the circular disc covering the space within the nut so water doesnt leak out.

radiator
Disc
Pipe
Nut

The only problem i have is that the pipe has zero grip and can be pulled from the nut with little force.

Please any suggestion how do i grip the pipe to the nut?

There is no olive but i think the circular disc may be it however like i said it sits on the pipe and wont go through it.

Trying to puzzle this one out but it sounds like the pipe pulled away, leaving the semi compressed olive behind it.....so the thing to do is to pop a new olive onto the pipe, (remove the old one) then tighten the nut which will squeeze the olive tightly onto the pipe - and at the same time make things watertight.
So - nut on the pipe, then the new olive.....push the pipe firmly into the valve and tighten up.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ive been told about olives and bought a standard one which doesnt seem to make any diffrence being to big for the radiator.

The first picture has an olive similar to the one which sits on my pipe when being inserted into the radiator. the bottom left.

Im not sure if its meant to sit on the pipe or be fed through the pipe.

The pipe has zero grip on the olive.

What you show us there is a reducing set - the sort of thing that allows you to fix 10mm pipe into a 15mm valve and so on.
The other pic in your profile is how to fix plastic pipe to standard copper pipe, using an insert within the plastic and the traditional olive fixing.
Give us a pic of your actual installation, if you will, with the pipe sizes.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back