Radiator not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The small radiator in our en-suite doesn't seem to work since the heating has started up the past couple of weeks for the winter. It is pretty-much the farthest radiator away from the boiler and the one in the adjacent bedroom is slowest of all upstairs to heat up, but it does get there eventually.

The system is 22 years old, so it's likely not very well balanced, but this rad was working last winter. I've made sure there's no trapped air, and also undid the TRV to check that wasn't stuck - there seems to be some movement in the plunger pin, so I think not. And the lockshield valve on the other side is open. The pipes connecting to this rad don't seen to get hot either.

I'm not sure what else I can do?

Sponsored Links
close all the other radiators and turn the heating on and see if you can force heat into the one that isnt working, then open the others again

Thanks - I can try that tonight.
What is the intention? Is it to force through a minor blockage? Then once that rad gets a good flow into it again, it should hopefully be able to keep working after I reopen the others?

Thanks - I can try that tonight.
What is the intention? Is it to force through a minor blockage? Then once that rad gets a good flow into it again, it should hopefully be able to keep working after I reopen the others?
yes if there is trapped air or a minor blockage then doing this can force it out, if it heats up fine but goes cold when you open the other rads then you need to balance the system

Sponsored Links
Update: As suggested, I closed off all the other rads and the problem one then heated up OK!
Then it stayed hot when I reopened the others, and when the heating came on again this morning they all warmed up.

The whole system still needs balancing, but thanks for this short-term workaround!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back