Radiator Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I thought I would try balancing my radiators but am stuck at the first hurdle. Each rad has a TRV, as you would expect, but they don't have lockshields. When I unscrewed the cap on the 'other' valve it was identical to the TRV (pin and all). I have never seen or heard of this before.

1) Is this usual?
2) Can I still balance the rads without a lockshield?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They sound like the type where you adjust the screw cap, according to the flow you want through the rad. Same idea as turning head on standard l/shield.

Screwing the cap right down should turn the rad off. Undoing the cap, allows the valve top open. You won't need to unscrew it much to get a flow through, as the pins don't move much.

Sponsored Links
on the black bit that the pin comes through there are a couple of half moon shaped slots, use a small screwdriver to turn the black part and it will shut off the flow, then, obviously, turn the other way to let a bit through and so balance the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back