Radiator not warming up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have an unusual (I think) issue with one of my radiators.
Since I moved into this property 18 months ago the radiator in the kitchen (next to the boiler) hasn't worked and I have only recently attempted to sort the problem.
The pipes coming to and coming from the rad are not getting hot either.
I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.
So far I have.
Taken off the rad, took it outside and flushed it through with a hose.
Replaced the TRV with a new one.
Replaced the lockshield valve with a new one.
Turned off every other rad at theockshield and turned the heating on in an attempt to flush the system.
The thing that makes it unusual is that when I undo the TRV at the tail or the pipe, even a little bit the pipe starts getting hot as does the radiator. As soon as I nip it back up it goes cold again. It does this with the old and new TRV.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Take the TRV head off, under which you will see a pin. The pin should be able to be pushed down a mm or so, if you use the side of a pair of pliers or even a coin to apply the pressure. If it doesn't move, it's stuck - grip it with a pair of pliers and try to move it up. Do it carefully, so as not to pull it all the way out.

Hi Harry. I forgot to mention I tried that also.
There is a brand new TRV on there now and the issue persists. Thanks

It's either piped incorrectly ,or there is a blockage on the return as it sounds like the TRV is fitted to the flow. There is no water flowing through the radiator into the return.

Sponsored Links
Shut both the TRV and the LSV, open the rad vent until water stops venting, open vent fully, open the LSV, does the rad vent/bleed water at a good rate, if not return blocked, maybe repeat with TRV. If both venting maybe rad connected like a one pipe system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back