Radiator pinhole advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently moved a radiator that had been in the kitchen for years, to a new bedroom. The radiator matches all the other radiators upstairs.

It seems that whilst the radiator has been stored that it has got damaged on the bottom or it has a corrosion issue, as I now have a tiny leak right at the bottom of the radiator. This is on the underside of the radiator on the wall facing section. See the picture - the leak is where the bucket is positioned.

IMG_2277.JPG

Now I've read the advise and I know that the best solution would be to replace it from a long term perspective, but I'm loathed to do that initially as it matches the rest of the radiators upstairs and I need to focus on other jobs.

What I'm considering is seeing if a product such as the below will fix the issue?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-central-heating-leak-sealer-concentrate-310ml/90485

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-central-heating-leak-sealer-500ml/88705

Any other advice on an attempted fix would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
I have successfully used araldite to cover a pin hole.

But that is only possible on a flat section as I use a small coin to add strength. But that's after grinding down to the bare metal.

Usually araldite on its own does not work well.

I don't know about the products above because the commercial solution is to replace the radiator.

You should consider the water treatment aspects as that may have been the cause of your leak.

Tony

Seconded. That radiator is at least 40 years old.

Sponsored Links
Get rid. If its rusted through, all the rusty bits are heading for your boiler innards.

Hi all,

I recently moved a radiator that had been in the kitchen for years, to a new bedroom. The radiator matches all the other radiators upstairs.

It seems that whilst the radiator has been stored that it has got damaged on the bottom or it has a corrosion issue, as I now have a tiny leak right at the bottom of the radiator. This is on the underside of the radiator on the wall facing section. See the picture - the leak is where the bucket is positioned.

View attachment 106189

Now I've read the advise and I know that the best solution would be to replace it from a long term perspective, but I'm loathed to do that initially as it matches the rest of the radiators upstairs and I need to focus on other jobs.

What I'm considering is seeing if a product such as the below will fix the issue?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-central-heating-leak-sealer-concentrate-310ml/90485

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-central-heating-leak-sealer-500ml/88705

Any other advice on an attempted fix would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
You'll regret attempting to bodge it if it bursts when you're away on holiday and floods your house. Bin it and buy a new one

Just change the bloody thing never heard as much Shoite araldite and coins what absolute rubbish

I have successfully used araldite to cover a pin hole.

But that is only possible on a flat section as I use a small coin to add strength. But that's after grinding down to the bare metal.

Tony
Do you use this method when repairing a leak on the front face of the radiator??..I guess the customer is happy regarding aesthetics?
So you remove the radiator , drain of all water , apply araldite , wait for it to cure , re-hang radiator , fill , carry out a heat test......how many hours do you charge for??

I only do it for myself and sometimes advise some of my tight friends how to do it themselves.

Some of them are very mean indeed otherwise they would have me to replace their rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back