Radiator pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Moved into a house in June and boiler/heating all appeared to be working fine.

Got to around october and once we started using the heating more regularly i noticed a small patch of water underneath one of the radiators. not a massive amount and was only noticed after it had dried and left a bit of a mark on the flooring

shortly after the boiler ended up with a pressure fault,

since then i've been having to top up the boiler pressure around once a week. It typically drops from 1.5Bar to around 1.2 ish each week.

obviously putting 2 and 2 together suggests its the small leak on the radiator causing the pressure drop. atleast that's what i am hoping.

Before i call a plumber out for what looks like such a tiny leak just wanted to see if anyone can offer any advice on a potentially easy fix, even if it's just temporary for now to stop me having to go in the loft every week to top the boiler up. We're potentially going to have a new boiler installed soon anyway at which point I could ask the plumbers to look and do a proper fix.

would some amalgamating tape be any use in the meantime perhaps?

Hopefully the attached photos give an idea, it looks like there's been a leak before and someone has repaired it by overlapping 2 pipes, it's the point of the overlap that seems to have a small leak.

Attachments

• 20200229_140008[1].jpg
    20200229_140008[1].jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200229_140012[1].jpg
    20200229_140012[1].jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
not sure what you mean about crossovers , You have what is called dropped feed pipes to your rads , do yu mean the part I have marked ? that is a paint bodge not a water leak

Attachments

• 20200229_140012[1].jpg
    20200229_140012[1].jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 163
Hi Ian,

No, I can see where you mean where the paint podge has dried like a drip, I've circled the point of the small leak in the attached photo. I can sometimes see the odd drip coming from this point and there is a small patch of water on the floor below this point that appears.

Attachments

• 20200229_140012[1].jpg
    20200229_140012[1].jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Show us the valve above it, chances are it's leaking from the valve and running down the plastic coated microbore and dripping at the bend

Hi Ian,

No, I can see where you mean where the paint podge has dried like a drip, I've circled the point of the small leak in the attached photo. I can sometimes see the odd drip coming from this point and there is a small patch of water on the floor below this point that appears.
That is just a plastic sleeve that covers the copper pipe, it will not be leaking from there, as @Madrab says it will be coming from above that and running down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back