Pin hole leak in radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a pin hole leak in a radiator that is only 2 years old. New boiler fitter a year and half ago and recently serviced and pressure topped up. I'm assuming this could be the problem as the system wasn't flushed with new boiler. Pressure has now dropped and no hot water or heating.

Anyway. Several plumbers are either too busy or not got back to me...so how easy is it to fix temporarily. Is it a simple case of moulding some expoxy to the hole. Top system back up and hopefully get it flushed and replacement radiator in a couple of weeks when I can book in a plumber.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you get away with closing both valves and releasing some of the pressure via the bleed valve (assuming that you don't want to drain it yourself)?

I honestly don't know if epoxy putty will set over a leaking hole.

If you are not confident enough to isolate and drain the rad, tuck a new bin bag behind the back of the rad, from the underside, it will catch the water.

If you have any idea of where the radiator was purchased from, it may be worth looking up the warranty information? - many radiators are supplied with a decent length warranty.

Sponsored Links
Anyway. Several plumbers are either too busy or not got back to me...so how easy is it to fix temporarily.

If it is leaking at a flat spot, find a short fat self tapper, with a flat shouldered head, put a rubber of fibre, maybe even a tap washer on it and screw it into the pin hole. Make sure it is not so long as to makes its way through the far side, then re-pressurize.

Thanks Guys. Isolated by turning both valves. Didn't seem to depressurise, but later got hot water from the tap so must have take a bit longer.

Will check warranty and guess probabea new radiator.

The radiator is a Milano Aruba from bestheating. That came with a 20 year guarantee. Can't find details of warranty.

Anyone had experience with these?

I fitted one in anthracite colour that customer purchased. It leaked as soon as I filled it with water. Pin holed !
Customer purchased 3 in total ,all different ,two verticals and one horizontal. The horizontal had the fault ,other two were ok.
They had to wait 3 months for a replacement from Italy ,as supplier had no more in stock ,and factory in Italy were not making any for months.

Temp plug with epoxy. If it works, it works. If it doesn't then leave isolated until you can replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back