Pin hole in radiator side...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm new to the forum so just wanted to say hi first!

I've just had a new bathroom fitted along with a large towel radiator. It’s been in for about a month now and last night I noticed a small pin hole leak from the side. I tried but failed to fill this with plumber’s putty.

Anyway I've isolated and drained the radiator and will fit a new one as soon as I can find another.

I noticed when draining the water that its a blown colour? I'm guessing that this is not normal?

Do I need to drain the water from all the radiators add an additive and refill?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
devs said:
Hi guys I'm new to the forum so just wanted to say hi first!

I've just had a new bathroom fitted along with a large towel radiator. It’s been in for about a month now and last night I noticed a small pin hole leak from the side. I tried but failed to fill this with plumber’s putty.

Anyway I've isolated and drained the radiator and will fit a new one as soon as I can find another.

I noticed when draining the water that its a blown colour? I'm guessing that this is not normal?

Do I need to drain the water from all the radiators add an additive and refill?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Devs.

The brown in the water is rust. You will need to have a local engineer carry out a full powerflush and cleanse then re-fill with an appropriate inhibitor added. Dont fit another radiator until this has been done!

It is rusty. It might have been rusty in store before you fitted it. It is possible that a fragment of copper from a cut pipe lodged against the side, this will accelerate pin-point corrosion. This is one of the reason why a new or altered installation ought to be thoroughly flushed and treated with a chemical cleaner before putting into service.

a chemical corrosion inhibitor should be added to the final fill.

You can buy chemical cleaners and inhibitors at your plumbers merchant or DIY shed. Read the instructions carefully at least twice.

There are some other points to look at depending on whether you have a sealed system, or one with a small Feed and Expansion tank in the loft. Have you seen signs of leaks or drips? How old is your system? Is there any black sludge at the bottom of the radiators or when you drain?

edited: bah, too slow!

Cheers for the replies guys its appreciated.

I'm not keen to spend anymore ca$h so would rather learn and do this myself.

The system is around 5 years old with one new rad added within the last month, its this one that leaked (I'm guessing that it was already rusty inside) to check this would I just need to drain another radiator to check the water colour?

It’s a townhouse with rads on 3 floors and a combi boiler on the 2nd floor.

Is there any chemical cleaners and inhibitors that you would recommend I use or are they all pretty much the same?

Cheers,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
devs said:
Cheers for the replies guys its appreciated.

I'm not keen to spend anymore ca$h so would rather learn and do this myself.

The system is around 5 years old with one new rad added within the last month, its this one that leaked (I'm guessing that it was already rusty inside) to check this would I just need to drain another radiator to check the water colour?

It’s a townhouse with rads on 3 floors and a combi boiler on the 2nd floor.

Is there any chemical cleaners and inhibitors that you would recommend I use or are they all pretty much the same?

Cheers,

Devs.

I always stick to using Sentinel or Fernox products

diy flush: http://wiki.diynot.....flushing.... its not as good as a power flush but its 10 times cheaper, and if you don’t have problems with sludge then you probably don’t need a power flush. you just need to add inhibitor to stop your radiators rusting, but you don’t want to add inhibitor to dirty water so you need to flush it first -might as well do a good job of it as use the chemicals. -Thats my thought anyway!

After sleeping on it and chatting to a couple of people in the pub, I plan to try and repair the radiator.

This is what I’m going to do today unless someone here tells me to stop waiting my time!

I’ve come to the conclusion that the rad with the leak is the one with all the rust, it off ebay exdisplay so probably been in storage for ages.

I plan to take the rad off pour loads of water through it outside to try and clean it a little. Then I believe that there is some kind of latex leak repair solution (what’s this called) that you can again pour through and it seals small holes through the inside.

I’ve also damaged the enamel removing the plumbers putty so will also sand and touch that up.

If all goes to plan I’ll hopefully repair the rad then test and do the full diy flush.

Does that sound okay or am I going about things in the wrong way?

Cheers,

Devs.

Sounds like a short term fix to me :(

If the rad is rusty then new holes will be along in maybe 6 months or a years time. You wil then have to re do all your work. :cry:

Fit a new one after cleansing system and add inhibitor.

That’s a shame Bahco, but thanks for your honesty... I'll get the system flushed out and fit a new rad.

I'm considering buying an identical rad from the same person but I suppose that I'm running the risk of the new one being the same and potentially rusty inside again. That being the case should I fit the new one then flush the system or should I just buy a new one from B+Q or the likes and hope that I can use the existing (tile) drilled holes for the fixings?

Many thanks,

Devs.

You WILL have to drill new holes for the new rad. ;)

When this is done put Sentinel flushing chemicals into your system as per instructions. Drain down and add Sentinel or fernox inhibitor.

Job done.

Remember the saying........ Buy cheap buy twice!

I've learned that lesson the hard way too in the past. :evil:

Damm I was hoping to to get away with the holes that I've already drilled as drilling new one's isn't an option. So I'm left with the following options buy the same potentially rusty rad again from the bay alternatively try and find another source for the same rad (proving harder than I thought).

If I do buy the same one again is it possible to just flush that rad on it own before installing?

Cheers again,

Devs.

Hi mate its a towel ladder by Prism 50cm wide by 175cm high.

Thanks,

Devs.

Does anyone else recognise the Prism brand? I've check with PTS and they don't stock them ;(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back