Radiator - Pipework to short - Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I messed up....

I did the pipe work for a 1000mm x 600mm radiator a few months ago, but when I measured it up by putting on the valves etc I neglected to put the extended bit on the TRV which comes out of the side, this has made me around 60mm short on the pipe work which is now fixed in cement etc :confused:

Does anyone know what a simple way out of this is, I was thinking of bending pipe as have around 160mm coming out before cutting down and taking it out and back up?

I didn't know if there was something you can buy as surely people sometimes change a rad for a bigger wider one?

Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
p1724370_l.jpg

or

p1070740_l.jpg

:?:

so that is to extend it?

but when you only need such a small extension it looks bad going up, left then up again...

so to extend is only way?

What about a flexible pipe, they all seem big, can u get small ones?

Flexi pipe is definitely not an option- they are not recommended for central heating and besides which it would look bl**dy awful!

Just use a couple of end feed elbows and some short lengths of copper.

Sponsored Links
2 bends and a short length of pipe is all you need.

Or better still dig the floor up and extent the pipe to fit.

nah couldn't extend as pipes run from left to right and up, so would have to cut down redo and dig a hole in a brand new flooring with laminate too :(

thanks for help I will use the 2 elbow option

You shouldn't be working on the finished floor. :eek:

All the second fix should be completed and tested before the final floor is layed.

I feel for you having two things which are an anathema to future maintenance, solid floors and laminated floor covering.

You must be an optomist, looks like you've been proved wrong once already.

I blame the telly for all these laminated floors.

I know our judgement is coloured by what we get called out to.

Two examples in last two weeks.

Neighbour with laminated floor, black sludge leaking from swept bend in pipe rising to rad. To renew section floor would have to come up. Floor no good now anyway as heating water and laminated floors are not made to marry.

My accountant, constantly hearing water running under his house (solid floors). I suggest he get water board to identify where it is and I'll do a dig. They instead slapped a notice on him about water waste giving him two weeks to comply. So there I was with my breaker trashing his house until we found it. Ever seen those blokes digging up the road? Like to transfer that activity to your living room? Nuff said.

Must remember to charge me accountant!

ok thanks to you all, I got it done with 2 x 90 elbows and a bit of pipe and blow torch...

If you didn't lay floor first you would have bigger holes in laminate, as a result we got 16mm holes and it looks perfect ;)

Bit late now but i was going to say buy a smaller rad.
It would look better than a bodge up.

Right so you haven't got the recommended space between the floating floor and the pipe. expect it to buckle when it expands by it's very nature.

You are supposed to pass pipe through floating floor with 5 - 10mm gap all around and then cover over with purpose made round thinggy that floats on the floor.

I'm not being pedantic with you, just pointing out what is right. I spent a whole year doing nothing but fit laminated and real wood floors for a living. I haven't been called back to a single one. I have seen plenty which have rippled up and opened up at the joins because of insufficient accomodation for expansion.

good work gents

I DEMAND an update in a year or so's time

or will it happen sooner?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back