Radiator problems - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My house has a conventional boiler with hot water cylinder upstairs. When we moved in, none of the radiators had TRVs fitted and most had leaky valves, but they all worked. In the last year we have had 3 of the radiators replaced with new, including TRVs fitted (decent brands). Since then we have had numerous issues with the radiators not coming on or only getting lukewarm. Here's the current state of affairs:

All upstairs radiators are original but work fine. All get super hot when the heating is on.

Downstairs we have: 1 in the utility (new - works fine, gets super hot), 2 in the kitchen-diner (new - both rarely get more than warm even with TRVs fully open), 1 in the hall & 1 in the cloakroom (both original, both get super hot, cloakroom occasionally stops working), 2 in the lounge (both original, 1 currently not working), 1 in the office (original, currently not working).

I have bled all the radiators that I can (the office bleed valve is seized, as is the case with a couple upstairs), including the ones that don't work. I also bled the pump and the valve in the airing cupboard. I got very little air out of any of them. The whole system has been drained and refilled at least 4 times in the last couple of months as we've had the new rads fitted/adjusted.

Ideally I want to move to a combi and have all the radiators replaced, but that's a long way off and I really just want to get to a position of stability in the meantime (i.e. all radiators at least working, if not at a uniform temperature). Would welcome any advice on potential causes and solutions to my current woes!

Sponsored Links
Who fitted the new Rads? Installer should have checked everything got hot properly as part of the job. Check Lockshields (valves on other end) are open. Is the system balanced ok? (see FAQ's). (Although I'd be wary of fiddling with the valves on the original rads in case they leak though. :() If it all worked before and there is plenty of hot water flowing about the system, then it is not getting to the affected rads. Usually means a physical restriction, be it sludge, air or closed/stuck valve.

Come back and ask about the options before plumping for a Combi, they are not a one size fits all solution, especially for a larger property or a home with several bathrooms. Other options are available and the experts here will be happy to advise on the options.

The new rads were fitted by the builders we use for other jobs. When they left, all was well. These issues have started some weeks or months afterwards. I can call in a gas fitter if needs be but wanted to rule out any issues I could sort out myself first. Messing with the valves does tend to bring more leaks and I'm wary about closing them off as past attempts at balancing just resulted in more cold rads. But I can try again if the consensus is on that as a solution. The lockshields definitely havent been touched on the cold rads since they were last working. One thing I've noticed is that the pipes feeding the cold rads are not hot either. Does that suggest a block elsewhere in the system?

The new rads were fitted by the builders we use for other jobs. When they left, all was well. These issues have started some weeks or months afterwards. I can call in a gas fitter if needs be but wanted to rule out any issues I could sort out myself first. Messing with the valves does tend to bring more leaks and I'm wary about closing them off as past attempts at balancing just resulted in more cold rads. But I can try again if the consensus is on that as a solution. The lockshields definitely havent been touched on the cold rads since they were last working. One thing I've noticed is that the pipes feeding the cold rads are not hot either. Does that suggest a block elsewhere in the system?
First thing I woud try is to turn your upstairs radiators off and then check if the ones giving you problems get hot, water will always take the route of least resistance unless you can force it to do otherwise, balancing a system can often mean robbing Peter to pay Paul, this involves using the lockshield valves so if they are not in good condition dont try anything until their replaced.

Sponsored Links
Up to now I've only turned off the rads using the main valves (not lockshield). Should I close the lockshields instead, or the valves both ends?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back