Radiator removal (combi) - to cap, or not to cap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to remove an old radiator from an attic room (it is, as you'd expect, the uppermost rad in the house). The rad will be binned, to be replaced by new ones in diff locations in the room. I want to be able to remove the rad and cut the pipes back (rad is on a stud wall with accessible eaves storage behind) to allow a plasterer to do his stuff before pipework is re-routed. I have a combi boiler.

So, a couple of questions:
- Do I need to drain the entire system, or would it be ok to just drain until the rad is empty? As it's the top rad on the system, I assumed that the latter would be OK..
- Can I cap off the 2 pipes with compression fittings, or will this cause me problems? I am concerned about air being stuck in the system if there is no circulation - could that be a problem? Do I need to consider linking the in/outflow temporarily?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Ade

Sponsored Links
Only drain enough to empty those rads.

Fit full bore valves and leave them closed when you repressurise the boiler.

It is probably NOT needed but if you are stupid enough to insist on letting air out then you can open each one JUST enough to let water out.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back