Radiator removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could someone please give some advice? I have removed a bedroom radiator ready for plasterer. We turned the valves, drained the rad and removed it. But then I realised we have no pressure in the boiler and it won’t let me re-pressurise as I normally would with the valve on the boiler, it just doesn’t rise - and water comes out of the right radiator pipe. I’m definitely a plumbing novice. I know nothing so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the valve is not closing. Either try twisting it some more and if that doesn’t work you’ll need to replace the valve. You should be able to do that if you can remove a rad. Can you take the cap off the left one to fit to the right?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what TRV is sorry but the right valve is one of these that has the numbers on and the left side was just a small Plastic covering which was turning and turning so I took it off and turned the metal underneath. When I try to repressurise the boiler water comes from the right side so I’m guessing maybe it’s that one that is causing the problem??

Don’t rely on a TRV closing fully, if it is one :(
John :)
I made that mistake years ago. Turned off TRV and removed the rad. A few days later it turned colder and the valve started leaking. I now save my TRV blanking caps and put them in my plumbing bits box but before that, I used to remove the head and unscrew the little screw a few turns before refitting it to make sure it sealed properly. When it was all done I put the screw back to it’s original position.

Thank you all. It’s capped, boiler pressurised and hot water back on. Super grateful!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Well done!
On assembly time, do consider topping up the inhibitor that should be in the system.....prevents corrosion.
It could also be a good idea to flush the rad out with a hosepipe to get rid of the black crap that will sure to be inside.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back