Radiator removing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l have mentioned in the building section l intend to remove a wall between living room/hallway to make it open plan.Now l need you guys to give me some help/advice on removing a radiator from the wall on the hallway side.The pipes come down from the corner of the wall and along to the radiator.l don't mind capping the pipes off at ground level in the corner, but how do l go about taking the radiator off.Quickest and easyest ways please.

Sponsored Links
drain down via that radiator, via drain off valve.

cut pipework where u want and if temporary just use speedfit cap ends. 1 on each 15mm pipe.

l don't think l've been clear enough jpc, l've never done this before so l could do with a run down of what to do from start to finish.cheers

Sponsored Links
u will need to turn the heating off (at the switch)

what kind of system is it,,

combi ? or tanks in the loft

u need to isolate the water supply to the ch tank. pipework might have an isolation valve, u could tie the ball valve up in place ir turn the mains water off

get a hose pipe to the drain off valve (jubilee clip helps to seal it) and open the valve.

watch the water come out. after say ..5 mins try opening a couple of rad bleed valves...this lets air in and helps empty the system quicker.

when the hose pipe has stopped the rad is about empty. (make sure both rad valves are open)

using a pipeslice cut the pipe where u want . burn off, scrath off etc and paint to the pipe and fit a speed fit stop end

http://www.johnguest.com/part_spec.asp?s=PKM46_S1

remove rad, leave it outside and the scrap man will have it !

the copper u can send to me £2000 a tonne last time i asked !

Thanks for that jpc, now do l need to flush the system and how to fill the system back up so l don't get any air lock. :)

when u have placed the speed fit stop ends in place , u need to add inhibitor (unless u are going to drain down again anytime soon) to the system. u add inhibitor by putting it in the tank before u let the water in...watch the inhibitor go down the pipework...then open up the water.

system will fill up, bleed rads, bleed pump (large screw on front, a small amout of water will come out if no air in it) and see how u get on.

i'd start tomorrow thou, going to chilly tonight

Thanks jpc, l,ll give it a go tomorrow.So is it inportant to bleed pump as well.

yep, if u get an airlock at the pump it will not do its job, as its a circulator really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back