radiator replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - one of the downstairs rooms, had damp on one of the walls, ie the gable end, hopefully this has been fixed, as the garden outside was touching the gable end and had some dirt piled up along side the wall and was letting damp in. Ive had the room skimmed and it seems to have dried out fine, been a few weeks now and cant see any damp patches..teh radiator that was originally ther was a single panel, is it better to replace it with a double panel of same size, as it will keep the wall dry...or shall i use the older one that i took off, its been in the shed for a few years and is around 20 years old still in good nick..ill probally clean it out with a hosepipe first..ta

Sponsored Links
He's not wrong ;)

Often a radiator looks OK, but the rust gets through eventually - and from the inside. I've just replaced three which were starting to go. In spite of inhibitor.

If it's off, don't bother to put it back; get a new one.

Sponsored Links
the rads been off for about 4 years, been sitting in my shed...time to throw away i think..ill just put it outside the front gate..will be gone in a matter of minutes..gauranteed..lol :p

Question is, was the room warm enough with the single?

You need to correctly size the output of any rad to the room it's in.

Plumbing is complicated stuff, you can't just go chucking any old sized rad on the wall. ;)

Do the maths -

http://www.radcalcs.com/

Also, if you have a condensing boiler, rads correctly sized, if not slightly over-sized, will make the boiler run more efficiently.

because i live in an end terraced house...one side is the gable end and the other side is the garden so i have no heat coming in from either side, room above has rad but heat doesnt travel down, kitchen is after this room. rads have been in for a very long time, room wasnt very warm in the winter, probably cos of the single panel rad..ill do some calcs...and see what it throws up..ta

above site doesnt seem to be working...comes up as "Nan"????? when clicking on "BTU/Hour"

Plumbing is complicated stuff, you can't just go chucking any old sized rad on the wall. ;)

I just lug a few old cast iron ones into place - 1 cwt. on 4 built in legs - lovely - and I pay £10`s not £100`s for them :mrgreen: " Nan " - that`s the old boiler :idea:

because i live in an end terraced house...one side is the gable end and the other side is the garden so i have no heat coming in from either side, room above has rad but heat doesnt travel down, kitchen is after this room. rads have been in for a very long time, room wasnt very warm in the winter, probably cos of the single panel rad..ill do some calcs...and see what it throws up..ta

above site doesnt seem to be working...comes up as "Nan"????? when clicking on "BTU/Hour"

Single poss undersized then.

Try this one -

http://www.homesupply.co.uk/radiator_output_calculator.php

I just lug a few old cast iron ones into place - 1 cwt. on 4 built in legs - lovely - and I pay £10`s not £100`s for them :mrgreen: " Nan " - that`s the old boiler :idea:

Aye, it's been many a year since I bought rads by weight, or number of legs. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back