Radiator shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I hope some can please help me

I have a new tv but the only place it can go is above a radiator. I want to deflect the heat from the tv so I’m thinking of putting a shelf above it

is it true that this will push more hot air into the room rather than up, so I will also get more heat into the room? And will it make the room warmer?

also how high above the radiator should a shelf go?

thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
1. Hot air rises, so normally the heat from a radiator rises to the ceiling, spills along the ceiling, cools and starts to fall, passes the radiator and so on.
2. Putting a shelf above the radiator will interrupt the flow, making it rise from a slightly different point.
3. Theoretically this results in a slight reduction of the heat going into the room, but in practice I doubt anyone would notice the difference.
4. It won't make the room any warmer, if anything very slightly the opposite.
5. Shelf normally 50 to 100 mm above radiator.
6. Could you move the radiator?

Hi

thanks for the reply, it’s not possible to move it I’m afraid. I’m also thinking of putting the foil sheets behind the radiator, I have been told that helps push out heat, is that true?Thanks for the advise I really appreciate it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back