Radiator sizing after 6" celotex insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope someone can reassure me with radiator sizing! Sorry for the amount of detail but I dont know how else to present the problem...

As a retirement project I have built an extension part of which is a kitchen 6x6x2.4m.

Construction is timber frame with fermacell "plasterboards" externally and wood cladding (3 external walls facing East West South). Internally fermacell plus pine wainscoting.

Floor is pine T&G over 225 joists over 450mm cavity to concrete site base.

Insulation in walls, floor and pitched roof is 150mm Celotex. Ceiling also has 100m knauf "earthwool" (had some spare!).

Windows are wooden double glazed 4-14-4 glazing unit. Glass about 3.5sqm.

Now I am at the point where I need to buy radiators...

Looking at all the Heat Calculation tools I get answers from 2 to 4Kw heat requirement. However, I feel that they do not reflect the amount of insulation I have. If I calculate (I'm no expert) the heat loss (using r-value u-values for celotex wood etc) I get a ridiculous 600watt heat loss.

I'm just too nervous to install a 1kw (3000BTU) of heating.

Anybody gone through a similar situation or have experience of heat installation in well insulated rooms?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is that the 600w is probably correct but may have over looked some cooling aspects and air changes.

Most would fit about 2-3 kW as a minimum and expect it to be oversized which will give the advantage of faster warm up and enable a lower flow temperature to improve boiler efficiency.

Tony

Even a 1 to 1.5kw radiator will take little space up.
Go for something large and will heat the room up quickly.
The thermostatic valve will then take care of the temperature.

Sponsored Links
Hi - Thanks for response. I will go for 3 rads = 2.2Kw. If that isn't enough I can fire up the 8Kw Clearview wood burner!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back