Radiator TRV location - Feed or Return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about installing myself HEP plastic pipe into a project I am doing. I am not a plumber, and have some basic knowledge of general DIY. (dangerous I know !!!)

At present, the house is complete gutted, so i have, basically, a blank canvas to work with.

I have been shown how to connect the HEP fittings, and cut the pipe. I already have a boiler and 8 rads, (Baxi Main Potterton 30 HE Boiler LPG).

However, one of my concerns is which side is the TRV best placed ? on the feed or return ?

My plan is to run the hot / cold water supplies and heating feed and return to the boiler area, and then employ a plumber to do the boiler construction / water connections and gas lines. Hopefully, this will still comply with current regs, unless any forum members know different.

any advice on this TRV question and installation approach would be welcome

regards

simon.

Sponsored Links
I think TRVs are usually fitted on the flow side, although many available these days are bi-directional so can be fitted to either side.

It will probably pay for you to decide which and then stick with it for all your rads to avoid any confusion.

As for getting the boiler installed, I can't see anything wrong with what you're wanting to do. Many of the pro's that post on this site seem to prefer that the boiler is 'still in the box', so to speak !

It will probably be worth consulting with your potential installer beforehand, in order to know where you both stand with regards to positioning of pipework etc.

put the TRVs on the feed or they may clonk.

MikeJ2005 : many thanks for your time in answering my question. The boiler is still in the box, and will remain so until the corgi plumber unpacks it and assembles it.

I will ensure that each rad TRV is identically set up.

JohnD : my gut feel was the feed, but I was after some 2nd opinions, and i thank you for yours.

best regards

simon

Sponsored Links
the best option is for the valve to be fitted horizontally on the flow, but if tight for space and the valve has to go vertically then put it on the return

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back