strange return on my central heating feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help. My central heating system is open vented, but just above the boiler where the pump is, I have a return pipe just after the pump which feeds back into the returning water from the radiators.

There is a gate valve in the pipe which is partially open - should it be? and what's the point of having this return loop? basically hot water leaving the boiler and before the electronic valve, can feed back into the boiler?

What's the point and should I close it. All help very much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
yes it's working okay - but takes a long time to get hot. But if the boiler is feeding hot water directly back in the return, then it not going to the rads? and the boier will think it's up to temp?

Am I missing something?

That will be your bypass.
Do not adjust the gate valve as it will have been set when balancing your system. :)

Sponsored Links
I'm still confused - why have a by-pass staight after the pump which leads back to the boiler before it gets to any of the electronic three way valves? Perhpas I should close it?

Please help

JAMES2 said:
I'm still confused - why have a by-pass staight after the pump which leads back to the boiler before it gets to any of the electronic three way valves? Perhpas I should close it?

Please help

No dont do that, having it connector before the valves is kinda the point of a bypass.

A bypass is installed for a miriad of reason prime one being pump overun, where the pumps runs for a bit AFTER the vales have closed hence why its put in BEFORE the valves

Thanks lads - I'll leave it then. Good point about the pump over run - I hadn't thought of that (although I though the three way valve would stay open when the pump runs). Many thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back