Radiator TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Radiator in utility is missing part of the TRV, the radiator used to get hot but no longer does-I can remember one being on there so it might of got damaged when we had our boiler and system changed to a combi, perhaps plumber locked off lock shield valve and then as turning TRV it broke off (that’s just a guess). Anyway are all TRV valve threads the same, I’m hoping to pick one up from screwfix and just fit the end bit without having to drain the system and replace. I’ve put a pic of what I have and also one from screwfix.

Attachments

• IMG_6303.jpeg
    IMG_6303.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6302.jpeg
    IMG_6302.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6346.png
    IMG_6346.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Anyway are all TRV valve threads the same, I’m hoping to pick one up from screwfix and just fit the end bit without having to drain the system and replace.

No, you will need to match the head. Suggestion - are the rest of the TRV's on your other radiators the same? Borrow one to work out what make/model of TRV head you need.

Radiator cold, suggests that the TRV pin is jammed in. So that will need to be resolved by pulling it out around a couple of millimetres to free it off, with pliers. Once free, it should be springy, springing back out if the pin is pressed with the side of you pliers.

With the actuator head removed ,as you have, the rad should heat up. Check the lockshield is open ,and press down on the pin of the TRV ,it should spring up ,if it does and the rad still doesnt heat replace the complete TRV.

Thanks Harry and Terry, yes the valve pin was all the way out and if I pushed it in it remained in so I pulled it and it came out completely, sprayed some wd40 in there and out pin back in and now it is nice and springy. Removed lock shield cap and turned clockwise to see if it was locked off, it turned a millimetre if that so assuming it was locked off, backed off a couple of turns and turned heating on to see if it is going to work, should do as I undid the bleed valve and water was squirting of there. Maybe plumber turned lock shield off due to TRV missing and didn’t want it to get too hot in there. All the other radiators have this type drayton on and I’m sure that’s what it use to have on the end of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Take that one off and try it on the one that's missing. I think its a drayton head.

Radiator is still not getting hot, all other radiators are though? TRV pipework and valve on rhs of rad is hot to touch and even the piece on the radiator that it screws into however rest of radiator and lockshield pipework and valve is cold. I’ve undone bleed screw and warm water is coming out so could it just be that with being off for so long it’s just taking longer to get to temp? Or should I really open the lock valve, I only turned it anti clockwise by two turns

The white one in your first post will fit if you want to keep them all the same look up TRV4 sensor head on ebay there are loads

The white one in your first post will fit if you want to keep them all the same look up TRV4 sensor head on ebay there are loads
Hi
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately not-I assumed it was a tr4 based on what I come across on screwfix as it looks the same style although doesn’t actually say tr4 on my head. The description gives it as M30 x 1.5 so I bought a Drayton head only with the same size fitting, tried it however it is too big. Looks like I’m going to have to return that to screwfix but will take a head off another radiator to see if they can match it

Is the radiator heating up now ?
Edit ..just seen your last post !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back