Radiator Trv's have been replaced but not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had home breakdown cover company out to some rads that could not be controlled with the trv's. The original trv's were 10 years old and made by eca, he said the mounting clips had snapped so this is why they were not working as they were no longer sitting properly on the pin. He's replaced all the heads to be safe with new ones made by Altech.

They are very stiff to turn and I am wondering if he's put them on too tight. Also should the valve body that goes onto the radiator with the pin in it have been changed as well or will these new ones now not control properly due to diff valve body and heads being from a diff manufacturer. Some of the rads were cold after they were replaced and he said that the pins were jammed down but they were ok before. He also said that they are ok to replace as long as they fit the valve body. The problem is that they do not come on unless turned above 4 and to get the rad hot they need to be on 5. Anything below 4 and they do not come on and that's with a room temp of 17c.

Thought I would come and ask the experts here after the visit.

Regards
Richard.

Sponsored Links
If the pins are jammed down thats no good, if they are hard to operate thats no good, Change the TRV bodies with the right heads and all will be ok.

Yes but the company supplied these trv heads. I guess they need to drain the system down and replace the valve body too so that valve body matches valve head?

The trv valve bodies should have been replaced not just "some heads that fit"

Sponsored Links
I agree but apparently they have had it confirmed from the supplier that as long as the valve heads fitted the fitting then they would be ok. I've also read on another post that these valve heads control to completely different points and shut off somewhere between 22-19c on the highest settings and not the 28c they claim to have. I imagine the pin is already pressed nearly fully down on number 3. It's all valves it's doing this on not just the ones that were sticking.

Sounds like a quick hope it works job

Yes they sent a plumber to do this in case it needed draining down. They are coming back tmrw but don't know how to challenge really. But I have very little control over the rads now. Bedrooms upstairs are freezing at them on setting 3.5 lounge rad is on full whack is running on setting 4 and is the warmest room but it's still on full pelt. The kitchen which has an undersized rad for the room is also on 4 but the radiator is cold unless I turn it upto 5.

Ask for a written confirmation from the manufacturer that their heads fit the old bodies. Odds on they won't. And demand replacement valves

Ask for a written confirmation from the manufacturer that their heads fit the old bodies. Odds on they won't. And demand replacement valves

They brought a valve in that matches the new head and they said if was identical.

It may fit, but not necessarily work! As your case seems to imply

Different tolerances, I expect your old heads which worked are in the great rubbish dump in the sky so the recourse is to change the valve bodies to match the heads.

Do the radiators function correctly with the new heads?

Nope so I am gonna have to tell them tmrw. Is it best to replace the valve heads to match the valve body or drain down and replace all to match? The eca valve heads are more expensive when I look at it. Plus I'm concerned if they drain down they won't put inhibitor etc back in the system to refill it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back