Radiator value leaking gunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old radiator that had new valves fitted (not by me) about 3 years ago.

In the last couple of months is has very slowly been seeping an almost oily gunk from the connection from the value to the radiator. You can see the gunk on the paper below the radiator in the pics.

A couple of extreme novice questions.

1. What the hell is this coming out and should I be worried about it?

2. How do I repair this? Would it be a case of simply trying to tighten the connection? If so where exactly should I be tightening?

Many, many thanks.

CIMG4195.gif

CIMG4192.gif

Sponsored Links
It looks to me that the rad valve tail joint is not leaking.

Check the plug or vent plug at the top of the rad immediatley
above the valve. This may be leaking past a fibre washer and
dripping on to the valve making look like rad valve leak.

The red gunk could be the fibre washer breaking up.
(it could also be some additive in the system)

The stains on the skirting board could not be caused by the
rad valve joints dripping.

Yep, it's the plug above that's dripping. I am a fool for not spotting that at all.

Try tightening the plug? It's the plug, not the vent.

If not a tightening job, then drain and replace?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
No need to drain down to service the rad plug.

Turn off the TRV and the lockshield valve on the opposite end. Carefully
open the vent whilst hold some rag or towel under it to relieve pressure
and test that valves are not letting by.

If all is well then only a small trickle will come out for a few seconds.

You can now take the plug out and fit new washer/ O ring PTFE tape/string
or whatever to fix the leak.

Thanks again Gasop. Will have a tighten and if no good then will buy new.

Don't suppose you've seen a site/thread giving an idiots guide to doing this?

If you don't mind me butting in, its best to take the TRV head off and fit the decorators cap that originally came with it - as TRV's often don't fully close.
The bung at the top could be a rubber 'O' ring, or simply a blank plug wound in with PTFE tape and sealant. Another pic would help!
John :)

Thanks Burnerman.

Do you want to have a look at this and see what you think the best course of action for a novice would be. My current plan is just to try and tighten to see if that stops it, but if that's not going to work, then I'll take more extensive action.

CIMG4208.gif

Our luck is never that good...!
Make sure both rad valves are fully off. If they are, water won't come out of the bleed valve - or just a few drops anyway.
If you are happy with that, then unscrew the bung with an adjustable spanner or socket, and brush the threads clean with a wire brush.
For a belt and braces job, smear some sealant on the threads (Jet Blue, maybe, but there is a wide choice) and then wrap some PTFE tape tightly around the threads. About 4 -5 turns should be fine. (Holding the bund towards you, holding the hexagon, wrap the tape clockwise).
A wee bit more sealant, even in the rad hole itself if you want - and screw the thing in tightly.
Turn the rad on, bleed it and job done.
John :)

Mmmm, I thought not.

Ok, I have PTFE tape and the allen key for this, but I'll need the sealant. I'll goto Plumb Center tomorrow and pick some up.

Last stupid question of the day then. I've turned the thermostat down to 0 on the one end, but I cannot turn the knob at the other end (I take it this is what "making sure both rad valves are off" requires).

Should this turn?

CIMG4212.gif

Thanks again.

Remove the centre screw and plastic cap then close the valve with a pair of adjustables.
count how many turns you take to close it then you can put it back when job finished.

Actually, I've had to do that before, so would have worked that one out.

Thanks everyone for your time. This time tomorrow I'll either have a repaired Radiator, or a heck of a mess! :)

You could of repaired it in the time that you've spent on here asking daft questions young skywalker,

Even the finest Jedi were not born with plumbing knowledge and had to learn the basics.

Thanks to those willing to help out novices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back