Radiator valve size

Actually, looking at the adjustable tails I don't think these would be of any use. My problem is that I need a valve with a very short radiator connection. Using one of these is not going to make the connection from the valve to the radiator shorter than it is to start with.

Sponsored Links
This is all starting to get a bit confused, and could go on for ever.

I think you need to get busy with your camera, and let us see some clear pics of; the fittings you have fitted at present, the specific problem, and the items that you want to fit.

We will then be able to give concise answers and a solution to your problem.

Actually, looking at the adjustable tails I don't think these would be of any use. My problem is that I need a valve with a very short radiator connection. Using one of these is not going to make the connection from the valve to the radiator shorter than it is to start with.

OK you have two parts, the valve itself, and the radiator tail.

The valve should have two 15mm connections, one is on the pipe that comes out the floor, the other joins the valve to the tail.

One end of the tail has a nut and olive and fits into the valve. The other end of the tail has a big 1/2" bsp thread that screws into the radiator. When assembled, only 10-20mm of the tail can actually be seen.

Here is a valve with the tail attached (it's the bit on the left).

When you buy a new valve it will be supplied with the tail. You can chuck that away and re-use the existing one if you want. It saves having to unscrew it from the radiator.

I think I better visit my local plumber's supplier to try and sort this out as it will be easier to explain in person !

Well I tried to post an image but have not succeeded evidently. It's simply a Honeywell TRV as shown here:-

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/HONEYWELL_TRV.html

but without the extension part on the radiator connection. All I actually want in fact to replace it is something like the valve shown behind it but again without the extension beyond the initial nut.

I think part of the problem is I get confused by the description - when they are 15mm and 1/2" they call them 15mm and 1/2" but when they are 15mm and 15mm they just call them 15mm. Certainly they didn't seem to have these in the DIY stores or on Plumbworld's site. I hadn't thought of Screwfix I must admit and they do seem to have it. Thanks for the advice all and apologies if the problem became rather convoluted.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if you post a picture things will become clearer.

I'm sure this is a simple misunderstanding on someone's part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back