Radiator valve - very intermittent weeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Recently replaced a radiator and thought there were no problems. After a week the compression joint between the TRV and radiator tail started weeping so I just slightly tightened it up and that seemed to do the trick.

Been working away for a couple of weeks and during this time the wife'd reported that it's been weeping again, a miniscule amount (1 or 2 drips onto kitchen paper) and then nothing for a couple of days, then another drip, nothing for a day or so etc......

Do I just keep tightening the thing up a little at a time and see if it fixes it or does this intermittent nature mean there's something fundamentally wrong so I might as well dismantle and redo from scratch now?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Admittedly, I consider doing the following a botch job, but is has been known to do the trick sometimes.
Loosen compression nut of offending valve and slide back an inch. Pull the valve a little bit away from the olive, but leave on pipe. A few turns of ptfe very tight over the olive, winding it in the same direction as the nut will turn to tighten. Screw the nut back on, but gently and certainly not too hard. Use gas tape if you have it.
Best way is of course to remove the existing olive, make sure pipe is not marked and clean up until shiny and fit a new olive with a bit of jointing compound on the pipe before your slip the olive on, and then a bit on top

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back