Radiator water temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With soaring bills I am wondering what the most economical setting for the water temperature of the radiator system. There is no temperature gauge on my Worcester Bosch 24si II but there is a dot on the dial.
My thoughts are if the radiators heat up quicker, then the pump works less and may stay hotter for longer???
I have a Hive thermostat fitted too.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118_191957_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118_191957_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
It would depend how well insulated your carrier pipes are. If you have pipes running in uninsulated cold voids then the hotter the pipe the greater the cooling/loss. If everything is internal, then 60 degrees is a good temp. What is more important is to fit TRVs and shut down rads in rooms you don't want to use too often, plus get the hive to shutdown over night.

1) Set the CH temp so that the return temp is in the condensing zone of the boiler.
2) Set the HW temp so that its 60c (Bugs, etc).

3) Throw the hive in the bin.
4) Buy a proper, dedicated heating system control along with a full set of smart rad valves to zero-zone the system.

Probs be shouted at for the above but it's my initial thoughts anyway......

Last edited:
1) Set the CH temp so that the return temp is in the condensing zone of the boiler.
His is non condensing, set it to the dot on the facia.

2) Set the HW temp so that its 60c (Bugs, etc).
He has a combi, so not relevant , and it most likely wouldn't reach 60°C

3) Throw the hive in the bin.
Keep the Hive, it cost you enough money.

4) Buy a proper, dedicated heating system control along with a full set of smart rad valves to zero-zone the system.
Possibly too expensive, stick with the Hive for now.
As @motorbiking said, make sure the insulation is up to scratch before spending on any controls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I am very frugal with the heating and set it to come on only when we are in. TRVs are on every rad and are turned to * in every room not used. One last question, by turning the temperature up does it just reduce the flow to stay in the heat exchanger longer or does the gas increase to create a hotter “burn” as such?

Thanks guys. I am very frugal with the heating and set it to come on only when we are in. TRVs are on every rad and are turned to * in every room not used. One last question, by turning the temperature up does it just reduce the flow to stay in the heat exchanger longer or does the gas increase to create a hotter “burn” as such?
If you mean the boiler thermostat, it continues to burn a flame until the water leaving the boiler reaches the temperature you have set. A fairly modern boiler may run the burner with a bigger flame if more heat is needed.

Back