Radiators get hot when water heating on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know why the following may be happening?

If I select my "water heating" timer to come on (not the central heating)
all my radiators seem to give off heat at the same time my water is getting heated!

Is this something that should be happening? as it just seems a bit odd to me
that the radiators get warm when I have not set the central heating on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It rather depends on what type of system you have. If it's fully pumped then you might have a sticking valve (zone or three-port) somewhere.

Another possible cause is bad pipe layout. I know that because it happened to us when we got a new boiler fitted many years ago. Owing to a bad bit of plumbing, boiler water returning from the cylinder coil shot straight across a tee junction into the return from the upstairs radiator circuit. After going through those radiators backwards, it arrived at the (closed) valve port but went the right way round the downstairs radiators before finally returning to the boiler. It took a bit of working out and the only cure was to replumb the offending pipework. :mad: :mad: :mad: (Actually, the whole lot was such a tangled mess that I pulled it all out and started again.)

But maybe all you have is a dodgy valve. If you do have a three-port valve, look for a small lever on the side. :idea: :idea: :idea: This is a manual override which holds the valve in mid-position. It should only be used for filling or bleeding but if it's been left in the override position you'll get exactly the problem you describe.

Thanks for the reply Space cat.

I will have a closer look at my system tonight and will post up
a couple of pictures if I can find a three port valve.

As I am not 100% sure if there is one without having a look
when I get back from work.

By the sub-standard of work the previous occupiers did in general
around the house. I would not be surprised if the pipework layout is bad
as well.

btw.

If the value is broken. Would this be costing me more to heat the water as
the water is going into the radiators as well?

Also I have British Gas Homecare 200
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/ViewQuoteDetails/HomeCare200/

Would I be covered to get them out to have a look and replace the valve if necessary?

I have taken a couple of shots of the setup inside my airing cupboard, below.

Overview of airing cupboard

overview.jpg

Blue part - Valve?

blue.jpg

There was also the frontage of an old part I found disgarded
on the floor of the airing cupboard, which looks like the blue
part has been replaced before, see below;

IMAG0335.jpg

Red part - pump?
I am guessing that this part is the pump?

red.jpg

Can you confirm if the blue part is a three-port valve?
and if so would it be worth getting someone in to replace
it to see if it cures the problem?

Sponsored Links
Can you confirm if the blue part is a three-port valve?
and if so would it be worth getting someone in to replace
it to see if it cures the problem?
The red item is the pump
The blue item is the 3 port valve (or rather the actuator for the valve, which the actuator is fixed to).
The blue part can be replaced without draining the system. If the valve itself has failed, the system will need to be drained.

Replacing it may solve the problem, assuming it isn't a wiring error elsewhere in the system. Has the system ever worked properly?

The BG Home care plan may cover this - call them to find out.

If I was BG I would not be in a hurry to cover that mess!

seco services said:
Was the hw on only when you took these pics ?

That's a very good question. That valve appears to be in mid-position, which it shouldn't be if you only want hot water. Try the different combinations of HW only, CH only, neither or both. Does that little lever on the side of the valve move at all? :?: :?: :?:

Seco services / Space Cat:

The hot water heating was NOT on when I took these pictures, it had
been OFF for 3hrs. Also the central heating is NOT on either. (still
tying to avoid having it on until it is a lot colder).

I will have a look tonight when the water heating is ON and see what happens.

Am I right in thinking that the lever moves up and down dependant upon whether the
hot water or central heating or both are ON?

i.e. if the Hot Water Heating is ON it moves to the "W" position, if the Central Heating is ON
it moves to the "H" position and if both are ON it moves to the "M" positon?

Could it be that it is stuck on the "M" position so that the water and central heating is
alway selected?

Flameport:

Thanks for the info.

In the 4 years I have lived at the property the rads have always heated up
when only the hot water is selected. So in answer to your question, No it has
not worked properly.

Then i say the valves stuck in mid position. M
The valve should never be in M position when nothing called for.

HW only = W
HEATING only = H
HW/HEATING = M

Could it be that it is stuck on the "M" position so that the water and central heating is alway selected?

Thats what i was getting at when i see your pic. The valves in mid position M

Stop faffing about and get BG in to fix it. It is covered under 200.

I note that the 22mm pipe, above the pump, has no air vent at its highest point and therefore propably partially air locked.

Ok, I had a look last night when I go home and it was still in the "M" position.

So I then gently gave the lever a wiggle, then turned on the "Central Heating" only, and then looked at the lever, which then moved down to the "H" position.
So I then turned it off and turned on the "Water Heating" and then lever then moved to the "W" position. I then turned on both the "Water Heating" & the
"Central Heating" and it then moved the the "M" position.

So it looks like the lever may have just got stuck in the "M" position and with me wiggling it a bit has freed it up.

I had a look this morning after the Water Heating had been on and the lever is at the "W" position, so I hope that it will all be working correctly now.

I will have another look tonight and see if the radiators still get hot as then I will have to see if there is another problem somewhere else.

Don't force it by the marker on the W M H use the lever on the end of the valve.
In your case it will be at the bottom of the casing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back