radiators need venting a lot now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having to vent my radiators quite frequently, probably 2 out of every 3 days. i do not know what may cause this. the radiators have been in for years and worked fine, so from what i gather, it cannot be piped up wrongly in the first place.

i have heard towel radiators sometimes need venting quite a lot but i do not have a towel radiator.

Is it a serious problem - will it worsen over time?
is there anything i can do to ease the situation or prevent it from getting worse?

Sponsored Links
it is open vented. it has a small tank in the loft that feeds it and allows the expanded water to go into.

would it make a difference what type of system it is then?

sorry i am no expert obviously.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the system is sucking in air from the vent pipe maybe?

I did think of this but then again it has been fine for years and is not a newly installed system.

What else could it be or how can I check to see if air is being sucked in as you have both suggested?

I did think of this but then again it has been fine for years and is not a newly installed system.

What else could it be or how can I check to see if air is being sucked in as you have both suggested?

a car will be fine for yrs but oneday it will go wrong.

you can put the vent pipe in a glass of water and see if it draws it in.

ok i will do what you have suggested and get the ladder out and try it.

the thing that i have heard though is radiators can rust inside out or something oer years, especially steel panel radiators, and can cause a hydrogen built up rom the side effects. i am not sure if this is true though - just a thought maybe?

anyway as you say things go wrong now and again as with cars. what do i need to do if the vent is sucking air in? what is the remedy please?

also, why would the vent pipe start drawing air in after years, as the pipe layout is still the same, it doesn't make any sense.

ok i will do what you have suggested and get the ladder out and try it.

the thing that i have heard though is radiators can rust inside out or something oer years, especially steel panel radiators, and can cause a hydrogen built up rom the side effects. i am not sure if this is true though - just a thought maybe?

anyway as you say things go wrong now and again as with cars. what do i need to do if the vent is sucking air in? what is the remedy please?

yes they do rust inside out and cause hydrogen.
could be a blocked cold feed.

hmmmm, not sure, i don't think the cold feed is blocked, i read on this forum that the tee section is prone to this, but my rads to squirt water out when being vented, although this takes about 4-5 seconds each time, but then water does come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back