Radiators not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved a radiator downstairs from one wall to another and since then the rads downstairs don't work. I have a combi boiler in the loft with 4 rads upstairs and two down. The upstairs gets very hot but nothing down. I've bled all the rads and completely drained the whole system and refilled. I've removed the inspection panel on the pump and it's definitely spinning (and on max setting). I've also shut off all the upstairs rads but still nothing downstairs. Before I start taking up floors does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the pump even though it's spinning? Don't want to spend out £100 if it's not likely to be that.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Does water come out of the downstairs rads when you bleed them?
Does any of the pipework leading up to the rads get hot?
Do the rads have TRV's?
What pressure is the boiler at?

Yes they bleed fine and water comes out
None of the pipe work leading to the rads seems to be hot
No TRVs
Pressure at about 1.6

Thanks

single pipe system?

Reconnected flow pipe to flow pipe - or return to return ?

Plastic pipe nipped up/twisted?

DH

Sponsored Links
Dual pipe system

Think I'm going to have to lift all the floorboards to check the pipe work. I wander if perhaps a flow has accidentally been connected to return. Would that stop the heat?

Check rad valves are open, both ends, make sure you physically check them, youd be amazed how many people dont just "because they wouldnt all be off"

When I drained the system from the lowest point all the water left the system so there cant be a pipe blockage.

Try shutting all the upstairs rads and call for heat, do the down stairs rads then get hot?

Depending on what rads you have, you could remove the blank at the top of the rad ( after shutting the valves) and connect a 1/2 inch male to compression with a bit of copper.

Attach hose to end, run to drain, open one valve, close, then the other

The release of pressure can remove a blockage etc.

If no blank at top of rad, drain the rad and make up connections to attach to rad valves

I tried shutting down all the upstairs radiators but still didn't get any heat downstairs. I'll try your suggestion at one of the downstairs rads. This is driving me mad trying to figure it out. I was convinced it was going to be the pump but that's definately spinning😡

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back