Why is downstairs radiator not working?

Oh, i made a mistake.

I opened up both valves on the problem rad

But closed one valve on the towel rad

And Closed the TRV on last rad (this is a working rad).

Due to the error i made. Should i redo the whole testing ,bleeding / topping pressure for ten minutes? (on both the trv/lock shield)

Then close lockshield and open trv on problem rad and fire the boiler again?

Sponsored Links
Problem rad ..close lockshield and open itsTRV.
Other two rads close TRV on one ,and close one valve on towel rad.
Boiler off.
Now open bleed valve on problem rad ,drain for 5 mins whilst keeping system pressure topped up to 1.5 bar.
It appears that there are only 3 rads in total is that so ? Are there other rads that are not connected to the system ,but pipework installed to their positions ?

Will give this a go now. Thanks

Yes, there are only three rads in total.

Two upstairs (bedroom and bathroom)

One downstairs (living room)

There are no additional rads or additional pipework

Originally the property had an old tank in cupboard and loft.

This was replaced with a combi system

The downstairs rad (ie problem rad) originally had what the plumber described as a two in one boiler and heater. This was replaced with a rad.

Right now trv is open lockshield is closed. I'm draining with the hose while the boiler is topping up

Not sure if it help but when i opened up the trv to release the water. The pipe connected to the trv was piping hot

And the pipe conbectef

Sponsored Links
You should be using the air bleed valve on the top of the radiator ,not the drain cock on the pipe when doing the test yesterday and today !!

You should be using the air bleed valve on the top of the radiator ,not the drain cock on the pipe when doing the test yesterday and today !!
I am using the air bleed valve (pic attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_141747132.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141747132.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 72
Okay just turned on boiler

At problem rad trv is fully open and the lockshield is fully closed

Just going to wait about 10-15mins to see if anything happens

You need to have both valves open on problem rad. Did water come out at a good rate of flow ,and was it hot ?

Answers ??
When i had the hose attached like the pic. I only opened up the trv.

When I did this, hot water came out of the hose. Whilst this was happening, i was simultaneously topping up the boiler

I never opened up the lockshield end

After waiting about 5-10mins, i shut off the trv amd stopped the boiler from filling up.

I then replaced the hose with the radiator air vent (with the bleed hole)

Then fired up the heat and opened the trv. I got nothing

I then opened up the lockshield and still nothing

You need to get your plumber back .
It's likely not plumbed in correctly. It's possible that the pump may not be functioning and the upstairs rads heat only by gravity circulation ,but I suspect the plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back