RADIATORS ONLY GETTING HOT UPSTAIRS BUT NOT DOWNSTAIRS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im hoping someone may have an idea what is up please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have just moved in to a new home and have just managed to strike up the boiler last night (reason not done before is house was empty and no oil in tank)
the boiler is a wallstar it has a grundfos ups 155-50x15 pump (pump has a dial marked 1-3 and is set on 1) and a digital control panel dayfuss set 5 .
the boiler will only strike up when both water and heating is set to on , on the control panel and only the upstairs radiators are hot and the downstairs are cold . i have been round each radiator and bled the air out but still the pipe to the first downstairs radiator get hot halfway the stops. obviously i am not a plumber but i am fairly skint due to the move and hopefully someone may have an idea what is at fault.

Kind |Regards

matt

Sponsored Links
Crank pump speeds up and see what happens.
Turn off upstairs radiators and see what happens
Has the house been empty, has the water been turned off , is there water in the FE tank. are the downstairs rads turned on

hi the house has been empty four 6 months so the water and heating was switched off. the fe tank is full and the float is not seized and all the rads are turned on. the rads get hot upstairs but where the pipe comes down the the first downstairs radiator it gets hot halfway then stops so will try this when i get home and let you know how i get on.

thanks for you help

matt :D

If its been left off full of water the pump could be seized (upstairs reds could be getting warm by gravity)

Sponsored Links
Hi just turned all upstairs rads off and then put pump on fall power and downstairs dads worked but as soon as I switched them on again nothing gets to the downstairs rads . I can feel the pump going so have got no idea .

Hi just turned all upstairs rads off and then put pump on fall power and downstairs dads worked but as soon as I switched them on again nothing gets to the downstairs rads . I can feel the pump going so have got no idea .

matweb";p="1728036 said:
im hoping someone may have an idea what is up please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have just moved in to a new home and have just managed to strike up the boiler last night (reason not done before is house was empty and no oil in tank)
the boiler is a wallstar it has a grundfos ups 155-50x15 pump (pump has a dial marked 1-3 and is set on 1) and a digital control panel dayfuss set 5 .
the boiler will only strike up when both water and heating is set to on , on the control panel and only the upstairs radiators are hot and the downstairs are cold . i have been round each radiator and bled the air out but still the pipe to the first downstairs radiator get hot halfway the stops. obviously i am not a plumber but i am fairly skint due to the move and hopefully someone may have an idea what is at fault.

Kind |Regards

Undo the large chrome nut on the pump with a screwdriver and remove, then ,with the hot water and heating switched on insert a screwdriver into the hole, revealed by removing the chrome screw and push in gently. If you feel a vibration this indicates that the pump is working. If you cannot feel a vibration locate the slot in the hole and insert the the screwdriver to turn it thus freeing the impeller. If this does not work you will need a new pump or pump head, or the cuase may be that there is no electicity supply to the pump. You will get a small amount of water leaking from the pump while carrying out the above checks but it will be minimal and will stop when you replace the chrome plug

Do as sprago says. However, even If the impellor is turning, the pump may still be full of crud

OR: the anti - gravity (or, gravity check valve) may be sludged up and restricted. It's sometimes diffficult to find this valve, as it's on the flow pipe, but often boxed in at about head height. Drain down, remove, clean and refit or replace. Probably not a DIY job

Would think anti gravity valve as well, seized half open ,Sometimes a sharp whack will free them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back