Radiators only warm up when hot water has been used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler seems only start to work when the water in hot water tank needs to be heated. This results in the radiators only warm up when hot water has been used. This is inconvenient especially in midnight when I need the room to be warm but no one is using hot water. I have already switch the boiler to CH mode. Is there any way can make the radiators be warm more continuously?

Sponsored Links
It seems you may need a heating engineer to assess what your problems are.

Tony

It is a Valliant boiler. When the water is being heated, the radiator warms up and the boiler displays S.4 normally. And after a while, the boiler stops working and displays S.30 and the radiator cools. The thing is, the boiler won't start again even if the radiator has been cold completely for a long time. Has already turned all the TRVs on to their maximum. Have checked the manual, it says that 3/4 no heating demand. Don't know what does it mean....

Most likely a faulty zone valve on the heating side do you have two 2 port valves or 1 three port valve ? What controls do you have make and model ?

Sponsored Links
Most likely a faulty zone valve on the heating side do you have two 2 port valves or 1 three port valve ? What controls do you have make and model ?

It's a three port valve. It was HW mode. I have changed it to CH mode and switch the boiler off and on. Then it works as described.

Do I need to change the control temperatures after changing to CH mode? It is 60'C on the water tank and 70'C on the boiler radiator control currently. All TRVs are fully opened.

I am not yet clear what boiler/controls you have.

Is this a heat only boiler heating a hot water cylinder? Or a combi ( which would not usually have a three port valve?

Tony

I am not yet clear what boiler/controls you have.

Is this a heat only boiler heating a hot water cylinder? Or a combi ( which would not usually have a three port valve?

Tony

It is the former, I think...I just moved in a few days, so not quite sure...But they told us the water temp knob on the boiler is doing nothing. Both hot water and radiators are controlled by radiator temp knob. So I assume it is not a combi.

On HW mode, the temp control on water cylinder was 60'C and the radiator knob on boiler is 70', which is working normally. Now I've changed to CH mode. Anything need to be changed on these controls?

Those settings are about right but 55 C on cylinder would be better.

I don't know what you have set to "CH" but you should have a timeclock to control the times for CH and HW separately.

You should also have a room stat to control the temperatures!

Are you a tenant?

Tony

Those settings are about right but 55 C on cylinder would be better.

I don't know what you have set to "CH" but you should have a timeclock to control the times for CH and HW separately.

You should also have a room stat to control the temperatures!

Are you a tenant?

Tony

I only have one timeclock and the three port valve is on its side. Currently the time is set to be on between 5:00-8:00 and 20:00 to 24:00. In each room, I only have a TRV on each radiator. With the two knobs on boiler and one temp control on cylinder, that's all I've got in this flat.

Or shall I just tune the knob control on boiler to below 60 so that the boiler can be heating all the time....

You should have separately timed control of the heating and hot water.

Are you a tenant?

Tony

Unless the landlord specifically agrees then of course you should not be changing anything!

But having no room stat and particularly not being able to set different times means it does not comply with building regulations!

Depending on the landlord it would often be possible to get the landlord to agree to upgrade it. Or at the very least to allow you to do it at your own cost.

The savings could pay for the work within two years.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back