Radiators stone cold but plenty of hot water though!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone out there that can give advice, I have trawled the webistes and this forum for advice but now feel overloaded with information but no answers!
I have a Gledhill Boilermate II with a Potterton Suprima 30, obviously the weather is getting chillier and put the heating on today and whatdaknow - it's not working!

I have plenty of hot water, even the shower works which runs direct of the Boilermate (not a powershower). I have 9 radiators in the house, 8 are stone cold and the one which is the closest to the Boilermate is also stone cold but the pipe leading to the thermostat warms up, but the rest of the radiator doesn't.

Last year the Boilermate wasn't so matey and leaked all over the livingroom ceiling, it was something in the heating flow that gave up the will to live and thus got changed, some part of the pipework, but not a bog standard part of it, the system was then a right pain in the backside and would not fill up so it was it re filled backwards if this makes sense, the plumber took a radiator off the wall to do it. I have read that these boilers are sludge buckets and there was quite a lot black sludge when the system was drained. After this the heating system never seemed to work right and was full of air, one radiator in particular would clatter away like it would come of the wall of it's own accord, the radiators were bled and this quitened down for a bit.

I noticed this spring and summer that the boiler did not fire up in it's usual way and was working a lot harder even though it was set to summer and you could hear it click the room temp control to reached and not reached quite regularly, so this would get turned down to stop it.

I think what may have taken the biscuit was about a week ago, the weather turned about and I thought it was time to change the season setting on the boiler to winter so that I would'nt have to have radiators on upstairs as I find the boiler being on all the time like it used to be would keep the upstairs fairly regulated. The room temp control went mad clicking on and off for the reached and not reached and the boiler was coming on and off to a point where it drove you round the twist, again I turned it down a little way to stop it clicking and left the boiler at winter setting, but noticed that the boiler wasn't on all the time, even though it is on manual timer switch. When I say on all the time, you can hear the noise it makes when it has fired up all the time.

Did not think much of it because it was always playing up a little until now. The boiler will fire up every now and then, the room temp control will not click on and off to reached and not reached when you move it.
I don't hear any water heating up through the system through the radiators and yet I get hot water and the boiler comes on when it suits itself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Where abouts do you live and is the estate full of the Boilermate? Reason i ask because these were installed with non barrier plastic by a number of poor housing firms and have now become a real pain with blockage/shale.

It may be worth checking if you have 240v to the CH pump, on these thay are 3 if you take the casing off, 2 screws at top. It may have jammed because of above reason, check also it's on speed 3, if so, try playing with the speed to give it a nudge start. The PCB on has a good diagnostic check via Gledhill helpline too.

I live in Birmingham on a private estate and yes the Wimpey builder installed this in other houses too...

Just as I have finished typing this, I have had a fiddle with the room temp control putting it up high and it has shown reached, a couple of radiators have come on, but as they have warmed up the room temp control has switched to not reached and the others will not come on, the noise of the central heating can be heard through some of the radiators now and I have this infernal clicking on and off, it's like having an electric chicken! Does this mean that the room temp control has gone mentally wired with all this clicking and is preventing the radiators from coming on until it's at the right temp.

There is a Grundfos 230v on the heating flow and it is set to number 3, I can't see any screws at the top of it, but there is a big screw in the middle which looks as if you would stick a coin in it to turn it, and judging by where it has been positioned a leprechaun's screwdriver must be used to turn it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back