Radiators take about 2 hours to heat up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Any ideas what the problem might be? Its a fully pumped system, conventional bolier with header tank and HW cylinder.

Have no problems with the hot water.

Pump appears to be working fine.

Think it could be the Honeywell mid pos playing up, was thinking that maybe it is not opening correctly, as if when the heating is first turned on, if i lock the arm into manual lock position the system heats up quicker than if I just turn it on with the valve operating normally.

Not sure that makes sense!

Could anyone advise a way of testing the valve with a multimeter, which wires etc to check?

Dont really want to pay for new head/valve if its not the problem.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
if the valve wasn't opening fully to heating only then it wouldn't activate the micro switch for the boiler to fire up etc.

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't say so.

if you turn the heating on only from cold does the pipe to the hw cylinder get hot ?

is this your system ?

just a quick check
White = heating on from room stat
Grey = HW satisfied fed back to clock HW off terminal
Orange = HW on & boiler/pump switched live from cylinder stat
blue = neutral
green/yellow earth
wot code is on the plate zvd or zvm
sure its a mid & not a diverter

Are you saying that when you select CH only, the valve moves to the CH only position and the boiler lights?
If so the 'white' valve wire which moves valve to mid point must be ok. Likewise the 'grey wire which moves valve from mid position to CH only position must also be ok. The fact the boiler lights also means the micro switch in the head allows power out from the 'orange' wire. In which case the electrics are ok.
The lever is not related to the valves function. I know it gets used to hold the valve in mid position because it won't go there when it should.
You need to verify the valves movements to establish it does move to both mid position and CH only position. If necessary remove the actuator off the valve spindle and watch the underside. Also check valve spindle and ensure it will turn easily.

Not my system, Brothers Partner's

Know that the valve locked in manual puts it in the mid pos, just telling you what I have been told, by doing this the rads heat a lot quicker.

Asked him to check when the system is cold, but does not live there so not there everyday and wanted to find out if the valve might be the problem.

Thanks for your replies[/quote]

Guys, all i really want to know is what readings he should be getting from a multimeter over all the wires in the valve when the various functions of the programmer are selected. i.e. CH or HW or both calling for heat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back