Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m after some advise please. We recently had a new radiator fitted, we had a double panel one to replace a really old one. It was on the same wall but just moved slightly. When we turn it on the rad only heats at the top, less that a 3rd high heats up maybe 20% heats up at the top. The rest down is stone cold. I through that maybe it needs bleeding, but I bleed it for ages , about 10mins and only water came out no air. Its down stairs and in an old house. The fitter says that that downstairs, the pipes start of as a 2 pipe system, and feed the first 2 radiators and then drop to a 1 pipe system to feed the last 2 radiators. Im told this is the reason why the rad only heats at the top so the pipework needs adjusting. When we got original work done years ago, the original plumber did say its on a 1 pipe system so I know this is right, but the original rads did heat up cross the whole rad not just the top so as it’s a straight swap I would have expected the same.

Does anyone have any advise, should I bleed the whole rad completely dry?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
If it’s part of a 1 pipe system it may not actually work correctly. In either case (1 pipe or 2 pipe), the system needs balancing - get the fitter back, as it’s been left “not fit for purpose”.

The system needs finely balanced properly. If the fitter knew it was a partial one pipe system then he should have either balanced it as part of the install or suggested to you that you need to get someone who is experienced with one pipe systems to install the rad and set it up properly for you and walked away.

Does my nut in these "installers" who do half a job just to get the money and leave a system that doesn't work properly. Playing around with one pipe systems can then leave it really difficult for the next bod to get it setup properly again.

Ideally you want to upgrade to a fully 2 pipe system, a half and half system can end up being nothing but hassle.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Was a new thermostatic radiator valve fitted? if yes is it suitable for a one pipe system?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back