Rads stay hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a problem with a Gloworm Ultracom 30 CXi boiler.
With all valves on the rads closed and the room stat turned down the rads stay cold - OK so far. If I open a valve the rad stays cold - still OK. If I turn the room stat up the rads with open valves get hot but some of those with closed valves get very slightly warm - not too concerned with this. Biggest problem now is that if I turn the room stat down again the rads stay hot until I close the valves. So although the stat is not calling for heat the boiler keep churning away.
Other things I've noticed are that after the boiler gets to a certain temp, albeit below the set point, there is only one flame on the display when we used to get 4-5, and it creeps very slowly upwards in temp. I also think it is ignoring the CH and DHW setpoints and trying to reach the maximum temp.
Any advice would be apperciated. I'd like to call out a Gloworm engineer as it is still under warranty for parts but only if I can be confident they will know what the problem is and can fix it.

Sponsored Links
So although the stat is not calling for heat the boiler keep churning away.
So it's a either a room thermostat fault or a pump overrun fault.

I'd like to call out a Gloworm engineer as it is still under warranty for parts but only if I can be confident they will know what the problem is and can fix it.
Why are you not confident? If they don't fix it, then just escalate the problem until they do.

So although the stat is not calling for heat the boiler keep churning away.
So it's a either a room thermostat fault or a pump overrun fault.

I'd like to call out a Gloworm engineer as it is still under warranty for parts but only if I can be confident they will know what the problem is and can fix it.
Why are you not confident? If they don't fix it, then just escalate the problem until they do.

please do not give technical advise as you are not qualified to do so..

Get yer skates on

Sponsored Links
...I'd like to call out a Gloworm engineer as it is still under warranty for parts but only if I can be confident they will know what the problem is and can fix it.
Your first port of call with an installation under warrantee, is your installer; he supplied the boiler and installed it, so he is the man that should come out and check what is wrong. My first thought is more towards an installation fault than a boiler problem.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
The boiler was installed last year and worked perfectly until the end of the summer when we wanted the heating on for the first time. First of all we weren't getting any heating. The installer came and flushed out the system and that got the heating back on. But now I have the problem described at the start of this post. The installer did contact Gloworm when he came and was told he might be the diverter. This might also explain why when the CH is on it takes longer to get hot DHW - which I understand gets priority over CH. But if its a diverter problem I don't understand why we have the problem with CH staying on after the stat is turned down.
Maybe we have more than one problem. It's looking like a Gloworm visit but any further advice would be great.

Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.) - See here for the forum rules.
-
There is no benefit in squabbling and being rude to each other. If you can't behave, you will have to leave.

so sort the know nothing troll out then

instead of smacking your gums

and i ain't going anywhere fella

Moderator 11 wrote:

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm This message will expire on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 pm Comment:
Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.) - See here for the forum rules.
-
There is no benefit in squabbling and being rude to each other. If you can't behave, you will have to leave.

Why did you remove my post where I warned the op that goldberg is a troll, and has neither qualifications, nor experience regarding the subject?
Most of his "solutions" vary from not quite right, to blatantly wrong.

There is nothing abusive about that, and most resident posters will agree that it is helpful for the op to know the advice comes from somebody that does not know what he is on about.

If you want to do something useful as a moderator, start barring trolls that contribute nothing of importance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back