Rads with underfloor heating on same boiler/system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a kitchen extension and want to install underfloor heating. the rest of the house is standard radiators. Can I run the two from the same boiler/system? I am advised that underfloor requires longer to heat therefore the rads would be on longer than necessary? If so, is electric underfloor my only option for underfloor... and that means a separate control... and is it any good??

Thx

Dean

Sponsored Links
Hi - can u enlighten further?? The advise I was given (and am lead to believe) is that rooms heated by rads heat quicker and rooms heated by underfloor heating take longer and need time to build up so both conflict each other?

As far as I am aware you need a boiler capable of running the 2 systems at different temperatures. I have seen them on several occasions but have never worked on one.
Cant remember the name but perhaps someone else can enlighten you.

Regards Stan

Sponsored Links
rads fed straight from the boiler via an s plan or s plan plus underfloor fed from boiler via its own zone valve(part of the s plan) and blending valve and of course pump

rads get hot heating zone for rads closes down

underfloor keeps getting heat as its on a seperate zone :idea:

Didnt know you could do that Kev?

Doesnt underfloor need to run at a far lower temperature period. Even with a blending valve boiler will still get too hot for underfloor unless the boiler stat is turned down lower then the rads will be poor?

Regards Stan

Didnt know you could do that Kev?

Doesnt underfloor need to run at a far lower temperature period. Even with a blending valve boiler will still get too hot for underfloor unless the boiler stat is turned down lower then the rads will be poor?

Regards Stan

what do you think the "blending" valve does?

Hi,

There are a few companies who do single zone wet underfloor heating.
You can plumb it in to an existing rad circuit, but that would be on the same time as the central heating. Only way to get away from that is to have it on as a separate zone, i.e. with it's on 2 port zone valve.

I would advise you to contact continental ufh, they will give you the details you need, (and supply pipes, drawings and instructions).

Lolli

Thanks - lots of good advice here, will look into this Co.

Cheers

Many thanks... while I'm on the subject, I seem to have noticed (but correct me if this is not true) that tiled floors hold the heat better than timber?

Any solid floor surface will be better for underfloor than timber. Timber is a poor conductor of heat so heat output will be lower than a solid floor and will need to be sized accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back