Rafters , diagonal braces ,plasterboard (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,

I want to pick somebody's brains please.

With my rafters now insulated I am looking to fit plasterboard but I have 2 X diagonal braces across the rafters each end of the loft (4 in total)which are 25mm. How do I use 12.5 plasterboard on the rafters etc with the braces fixed across them ? In my mind I am thinking of 25mm batons all round the rafters to make roof all level to fix plasterboard

Your knowledge & experience appreciated

Sponsored Links
Braces are for trussed roofs, and are not required on cut-rafter roofs

Hi woody , thanks

After looking at diagrams I believed some call them trusses and some call them rafters so this is still mind boggling !

When I had the house built in 2001 I paid extra for "trusses" so the loft was already done and would be silly not to.
I have these braces as I said so they must be trusses with your reply above, would you baton the trusses to make all level for plasterboard as I believe braces are there for strength and of course good reason

Sounds like you have trussed rafters, of which there are different types. Yours sound like attic trusses. These days diagonal bracing is used.
Battening out is one way to do it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Stuart appreciated .

What's the other way just out of interest , I'm guessing put the diagonal braces behind or elsewhere ??? Just a guess

Being a bricklayer and not a chippie it not really my field, but I can remember them bracing parts of the roof with plywood when converting a roof built with fink trusses.
You may be able to use plywood on the sloping section to replace the bracing.

When trussed rafters were first used they didn't have diagonal bracing, but some suffered from wind racking.

Last edited:
Thanks Stuart ,

So much info and different ways to do stuff , baton seems logic to me , a chippie might say different

If they are trusses, why have you insulated at the 'rafter' level? That's a potential condensation risk to the roof void.

You won't be able to remove braces.

Hi woody ,
Think I'm confusing you , I'll take picture and show you so you know what I mean

Here you go ,
The insulation is 100mm with 100mm air flow,the picture shows the braces going across which are 25mm

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 219
Other pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 150
Oh, it's a loft then. :rolleyes:

No you can't remove those braces. And a ply diaphragm between the trusses is out of the question too in this case.

You need to batten out the trusses with 25mm tile battens and then plasterboard across the braces.

Sorry woody didn't explain myself good did I lol
That's what I thought mate but I ain't no chippie and wanted to be sure .
Thanks for the info appreciated , I'm sure I'll be back on sometime !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back